Uncovering the Truth: Non-Dualistic Particles Revealed

• B
  • Thread starter Liana008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particles
In summary, particles that do NOT have a dualistic character, in the sense of wave/particle duality, are micro and macro systems that behave according to quantum mechanics. This includes elementary particles such as the photon, Z boson, Higgs boson, and possibly the graviton, as well as neutrinos if Majorana's theory is correct. The concept of wave/particle duality has been debunked since 1925, when the modern form of quantum theory was discovered by Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Dirac, and others. The concept of particles themselves is also a hindrance to understanding, as they are actually just manifestations of quantum waves in a limited space. This modern interpretation is free of inconsistencies
Liana008
Hello, could you please help me with this question?
What particles do NOT have a dualistic character?
Thank you for your answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Liana008 said:
Hello, could you please help me with this question?
What particles do NOT have a dualistic character?
Thank you for your answer.
As in wave/particle dualistic nature (not in the classical sense, though)? I would think none.

Micro, and in principle macro, systems are all quantum mechanical.

Likes Liana008
Normally "dualistic" would refer to wave / particle duality but the question makes no sense since all particles are dual in that sense.

Only way the question seems sensible, that I can see, is if "dualistic character" refers to antiparticles. Thus the electron has "dualistic character" because it has an antiparticle, the positron.

In that case the elementary particles which are their own antiparticle are photon, Z boson, Higgs boson, and graviton if it exists. Also if Majorana was right, neutrinos.

On the other hand, maybe these could be called dualistic, because they are their own antiparticle? If so all the other particles are the non-dualistic ones.

Likes Liana008
Since 1925 it's clear that there is no wave-particle duality. So the answer is: none! ;-)).

Likes Liana008 and weirdoguy
vanhees71 said:
Since 1925 it's clear that there is no wave-particle duality. So the answer is: none! ;-)).

What happened in 1925?

Likes Liana008
ddd123 said:
What happened in 1925?
The modern form of quantum theory, still valid today, has been found by Heisenberg, Schrödinger, Dirac, and others!

Likes Liana008
Thank you very much!

Difraction is the bending of wave rays when they meet an obstacle to propagation .

Suppose an wave propagating in a medium until it meet a slit in an opaque barrier.

In June 2011 Canadian scientist Aephraim Steinberg measured momentum and position of a photon, verifying that it comported itself as an wave even when passing by just on slit.

In 1924, Louis DeBroglie made an important discovery. Considering Einstein's relation

lambda = h/p ( is Plank's constant and p is momentum),

he demonstraded that the relation faculted the determination of the wave length of any material object. For this equation he earned the Nobel prize in 1929. The hypothesis was confirmed in 1927 by Clinton Davisson and Lester Germer.

Yet the habit of treating with corpuscles hinders until today that people understand that DeBroglie really has demonstrated particles inexistence. There is no duality, as generally affirmed, but only waves. A wave, as the photon, that manifests itself in a limited space, will seem to the observer a particle.

In June 2011 the Canadian scientist Aephraim Steinberg measured one photon both position and momentum, verifying that it behaves as an wave even when it traverses just one single slit (http://phys.org/news/2011-06-quantum-physics-photons-two-slit-interferometer.html).

Without minimize the importance of Prof. Steinberg's brilliant experiment, we could say that some works are not rigorously necessary.

Fernando Arthur Tollendal Pacheco – fernandoarthur@gmail.com
Fernando Antônio Bezerra Tollendal Pacheco - ftollendal@gmail.com
Brasilia (DF) - Brazil

Likes Liana008
Tollendal said:
In June 2011 the Canadian scientist Aephraim Steinberg measured one photon both position and momentum, verifying that it behaves as an wave even when it traverses just one single slit (http://phys.org/news/2011-06-quantum-physics-photons-two-slit-interferometer.html).

I was just wondering the other day whether it was theoretically possible to reconstruct from what direction light travels using its detected momentum. The article, however, doesn't mention the finding demonstrating anything about waves. I'm really interested in this. But when I clicked on the journal article, I can view only the abstract. Is there any way you can lend me your copy of the journal article to read if you have it?

Tollendal said:
Yet the habit of treating with corpuscles hinders until today that people understand that DeBroglie really has demonstrated particles inexistence. There is no duality, as generally affirmed, but only waves. A wave, as the photon, that manifests itself in a limited space, will seem to the observer a particle.

I'm lovin' it! Is this a modern interpretation or did DeBroglie consciously put forth the above?

I'd put it in a different way. There are neither classical particles nor classical fields but only quantum fields together with the Born rule intepreting quantum states in a probabilistic way. Only this description is free of inconsistencies.

DavidReishi said:
I'm lovin' it! Is this a modern interpretation or did DeBroglie consciously put forth the above?
Definitely a modern interpretation... I wouldn't bet on de Broglie recognizing it himself.

Related to Uncovering the Truth: Non-Dualistic Particles Revealed

1. What are non-dualistic particles?

Non-dualistic particles are subatomic particles that do not follow the rules of traditional physics, such as being in two places at once or having no definite position or momentum.

2. How were these particles discovered?

Non-dualistic particles were first theorized by physicists studying quantum mechanics. They were later confirmed through experiments that demonstrated the strange behavior of these particles.

3. What implications does this have for our understanding of the universe?

The discovery of non-dualistic particles challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It suggests that there may be more to the universe than we currently understand and opens up new avenues for research and exploration.

4. How do non-dualistic particles affect our daily lives?

Non-dualistic particles may seem irrelevant to our daily lives, but they actually play a crucial role in many modern technologies such as computers, smartphones, and GPS systems. Understanding these particles could lead to even more advanced technology in the future.

5. What are the practical applications of studying non-dualistic particles?

Studying non-dualistic particles can have numerous practical applications in fields such as quantum computing, cryptography, and advanced materials. It could also lead to new insights and breakthroughs in fields such as medicine and energy production.