Undamped force oscillation formulas

In summary, the solution to the formula for undamped force oscillation is x(t)=C*cos(ω0*t-α)+[(F0/m)/(ω0^2-ω^2)]*cos(ωt), where C is a constant. However, if you are looking for an easy-to-follow derivation of this formula, you can try searching for "response of single degree of freedom dynamic systems" or "solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients" on Google. There are many websites available that offer step-by-step explanations and derivations of this formula.
gmmstr827
Apparently the solution to the formula for undamped force oscillation mx''+kx=F0*cos(ωt) is x(t)=C*cos(ω0*t-α)+[(F0/m)/(ω0^2-ω^2)]*cos(ωt) where C is a constant, but are there any websites that show that derivation in an easy-to-follow way? I've tried Googling both the formulas and the topic, but I can't come up with anything. I need to use these formulas and seeing this would really help. If someone could provide a link or post it if they have it somewhere handy, that would be great.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
For this specific equation, try googling for "response of single degree of freedom (or SDOF) dynamic systems".

Or if you want the general theory, look for "solving linear differential equations with constant coefficients".

There are lots of sites on those topics - which one is best for you depends how much math and/or physics you know already.

Okay, thanks. I'm really only looking for the mathematical step-by-step derivation of it. I don't need a bunch of explanations, I can figure out problems by referring back to the general steps.

1. What is the formula for calculating the amplitude of an undamped force oscillation?

The formula for calculating the amplitude of an undamped force oscillation is A = F/k, where A is the amplitude, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

2. How do I calculate the period of an undamped force oscillation?

The period of an undamped force oscillation can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the oscillating object, and k is the spring constant.

3. What does an undamped force oscillation represent?

An undamped force oscillation represents the movement of an object attached to a spring, where there is no friction or energy loss.

4. How does the amplitude of an undamped force oscillation change with time?

The amplitude of an undamped force oscillation remains constant with time, as there is no energy loss or damping present.

5. What is the difference between damped and undamped force oscillations?

The main difference between damped and undamped force oscillations is that in a damped oscillation, there is a presence of friction or energy loss, causing the amplitude to decrease over time. In an undamped oscillation, there is no friction or energy loss, and the amplitude remains constant.