Undergrad Research Q&A: Tips for Applying and Choosing Research Areas

In summary: In that case, the Physics you know is not that important. Hence, the Engineering route.In summary, the ideal time to ask for summer undergraduate research is before or after Christmas break. Any research experience is valuable, even if it is not directly related to the field of study for graduate school. Doing research in the Engineering Department can be beneficial for graduate school applications, as long as the project was good.
Darth Frodo
Hi guys,

I really want to engage in some undergrad research this year but I have some queries.

1. If I wanted to apply for the summer what is the ideal date to ask the professor or set up a meeting? After Christmas Break when I get results back?

2. My Uni does mostly work in Solid State Physics. If I were to apply to Grad School for Fluid Mechanics or another area of condensed matter, and had done research in the area of Solid State physics, would this hurt my chances or should I count my blessings that I got research at all.. :redface:

3. Fluid Mechanics seems interesting but the Physics Dept. at my uni doesn't do any research in the field but the Engineering Dept. does A LOT of work in the field. How would grad schools look upon research done in the Engineering Dept. or do they even care as long there's something done?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Darth Frodo said:
Hi guys,

I really want to engage in some undergrad research this year but I have some queries.

1. If I wanted to apply for the summer what is the ideal date to ask the professor or set up a meeting? After Christmas Break when I get results back?

2. My Uni does mostly work in Solid State Physics. If I were to apply to Grad School for Fluid Mechanics or another area of condensed matter, and had done research in the area of Solid State physics, would this hurt my chances or should I count my blessings that I got research at all.. :redface:

3. Fluid Mechanics seems interesting but the Physics Dept. at my uni doesn't do any research in the field but the Engineering Dept. does A LOT of work in the field. How would grad schools look upon research done in the Engineering Dept. or do they even care as long there's something done?

Thanks.

1. After Christmas Break is probably a good idea, especially if you got to know a prof during fall term.

2. Any research is valuable. Solid-State is directly applicable to condensed matter. To be honest, you're not going to be advancing the state-of-the-art whatever you do, you're just learning what research is.

3. Some of the best Fluid Mechanics research is done in Engineering Depts. It ABSOLUTELY won't hurt that it was done. If the project was good, the project was good.

Darth Frodo said:
Hi guys,

Thanks.
1. I'd say before Christmas or right after that would be ideal. Supposing you're in first year, it would certainly be nice to have some university grades, as high school grades tend to mean very little. (Unless you have something fancy, say a medal in a national or international contest.)
Also, be realistic. If you email a big name professor or a guy heavily theoretical, you will likely get no respond at all because tonnes of qualified people will volunteer to work for them, or they simply don't need someone at your level.
Junior faculty tend to need more people to help set things up and they tend to be more interested in taking undergraduates.

2. Solid State is a very large "sub"-sub-field of Condensed Matter, so I don't think you would have to worry at all about it. (and plus it's interesting!)

3. As long as you don't something completely off like working for a bank or McDonalds, then research experience is in always helpful.
Also, I don't think "fluid mechanics" itself is a very large sub-field in terms of Physics. It's certainly central to many engineering applications and things like atmospheric or geophysics, but in that case you would most likely be just doing coding to fit data.
The other end would be doing the Maths of the equations, which in that case you probably wouldn't be able to do anything meaningful until you take a good deal of analysis and PDEs.

Last edited:

Related to Undergrad Research Q&A: Tips for Applying and Choosing Research Areas

1. What is undergraduate research?

Undergraduate research is a type of experiential learning where undergraduate students engage in hands-on research activities under the guidance of a faculty mentor. It allows students to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned in the classroom to real-world research projects.

2. Why is undergraduate research important?

Undergraduate research is important because it allows students to gain valuable skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication, which are highly sought-after by employers. It also helps students explore their interests, build relationships with faculty mentors, and prepare for graduate studies.

3. How can I get involved in undergraduate research?

The first step to getting involved in undergraduate research is to identify your interests and find a faculty member who shares those interests. You can reach out to faculty members directly, attend research fairs or information sessions, or check with your academic department for any research opportunities available.

4. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research?

There are many benefits to participating in undergraduate research, including gaining hands-on experience in your field of interest, building your resume and skills, forming relationships with faculty mentors, and potentially contributing to new knowledge in your field.

5. Can I do undergraduate research in a field outside of my major?

Yes, you can do undergraduate research in a field outside of your major. In fact, many students use undergraduate research as a way to explore different fields and gain a broader understanding of their interests. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses or seek extra guidance from your faculty mentor to ensure you have the necessary knowledge and skills for the research project.