Undergraduate Degree in Perth Western Australia

In summary: It's definitely worth considering, and you might find that the move is worth it. There are a few things to consider, though. First, is the degree you want. If you're mainly interested in the engineering aspect of physics, then A.N.U. would be a good choice. However, if you're looking to learn more about the theory behind the subject, then Curtin might be a better choice. A.N.U. does offer a good degree, but it's not the best option if you're looking for a more comprehensive education. Secondly, is the cost. If you're looking to study in Australia, A.N.U. is the most affordable option. However, Curtin is also a
Mr Cheese
Hi guys!

I was thinking of pursuing a degree in Physics and was thinking of doing my undergraduate where I live (Perth). I was just wondering which would be a better university to attend, U.W.A or Curtin. Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The UWA course seems to be more mathematically oriented, but the Curtin course seems to leave more room for optional units, which could be dedicated to achieving a similar level of mathematical education, anyway. UWA also has a required unit, "Experimental physics," as part of the course, while Curtin appears to place a greater emphasis on laboratory experience throughout the rest of the course. As the UWA website isn't cooperating, I'm not currently able to look deeper into the particulars of the units offered, but I'm sure similar topics are covered by each university.

Both are great universities from my understanding. UWA is possibly somewhat more "prestigious," however, if you're looking for a university with a prestigious name, you're probably in the wrong country. From what I've heard from students in the Engineering department, UWA places a far higher value on theory, whereas Curtin increases the emphasis on lab, and technical experience. I am not certain whether this carries over to the other faculties, but I imagine it would be a similar situation. If you're interested in a deeper understanding of the theoretical side of the subject, I'd probably be slightly more inclined to recommend UWA. Both of these uni's are great, however, and I'd personally just pick whichever would be more convenient for me (in terms of travel, networks with older students in times of need - don't worry so much about this though, this will develop regardless). Both will provide you with a degree, and extensive knowledge in the field of in Physics, which is ultimately what you're aiming for.

Edit: I'm looking to transfer to Curtin for a double in Engineering/Physics, so if you choose Curtin, you'll know a PF'er, lol.

Last edited:
As a non-Australian, non-engineer, I'd just add to the following two comments.
Cynix said:
Both are great universities from my understanding. UWA is possibly somewhat more "prestigious," however, if you're looking for a university with a prestigious name, you're probably in the wrong country.
Like Cynix mentioned, you shouldn't be really looking for prestige, but as an observation, I've heard of UWA, but not of Curtin. But, again, this might mean nothing.
Cynix said:
From what I've heard from students in the Engineering department, UWA places a far higher value on theory, whereas Curtin increases the emphasis on lab, and technical experience.
If that's true, I'd go with UWA, because I think it's better to err on the side of theory in your undergrad. You can namely remedy the lack of practical knowledge in your first months on the job, but it's much harder doing it the other way around. On one hand, more labs and technical experience might get you a job faster, but the options of someone better-versed in theory are much broader later on. That's what I found thus far, at least.

I find the greater emphasis on laboratory and practical experiments keeps me more enthused about future prospects. Getting a taste of what the future holds is very exciting for me. Also, I suspect it would be far easier to learn some theory out of a book than it would be to gain access to labs, etc, to practice your technical skills. Though, if you were guaranteed a job straight out of uni, this wouldn't be a problem.

I think theoretical might be better for me. It also looks like I'll be doing a second major in maths probably. Do you think this would change anything?

Would A.N.U be worth considering? In other words is it good enough to warrant the move?

1. What universities in Perth offer undergraduate degrees?

Some of the top universities in Perth that offer undergraduate degrees include the University of Western Australia, Curtin University, Murdoch University, and Edith Cowan University.

2. How long does it take to complete an undergraduate degree in Perth?

The duration of an undergraduate degree in Perth can vary depending on the program and the university, but typically it takes 3-4 years to complete a bachelor's degree.

3. What are the most popular undergraduate degrees offered in Perth?

The most popular undergraduate degrees in Perth are in the fields of business, engineering, health sciences, and education.

4. Are there any scholarships available for undergraduate students in Perth?

Yes, there are various scholarships available for undergraduate students in Perth. These can be offered by universities, government agencies, and private organizations. It is recommended to check with the specific university or scholarship provider for eligibility and application requirements.

5. Can international students apply for undergraduate degrees in Perth?

Yes, international students are welcome to apply for undergraduate degrees in Perth. However, they may need to meet certain requirements such as English language proficiency and visa regulations. It is best to consult with the university's international student office for more information.