Undergraduate Degree in Perth Western Australia

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mr Cheese
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hi guys!

I was thinking of pursuing a degree in Physics and was thinking of doing my undergraduate where I live (Perth). I was just wondering which would be a better university to attend, U.W.A or Curtin. Any help would be much appreciated :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The UWA course seems to be more mathematically oriented, but the Curtin course seems to leave more room for optional units, which could be dedicated to achieving a similar level of mathematical education, anyway. UWA also has a required unit, "Experimental physics," as part of the course, while Curtin appears to place a greater emphasis on laboratory experience throughout the rest of the course. As the UWA website isn't cooperating, I'm not currently able to look deeper into the particulars of the units offered, but I'm sure similar topics are covered by each university.

Both are great universities from my understanding. UWA is possibly somewhat more "prestigious," however, if you're looking for a university with a prestigious name, you're probably in the wrong country. From what I've heard from students in the Engineering department, UWA places a far higher value on theory, whereas Curtin increases the emphasis on lab, and technical experience. I am not certain whether this carries over to the other faculties, but I imagine it would be a similar situation. If you're interested in a deeper understanding of the theoretical side of the subject, I'd probably be slightly more inclined to recommend UWA. Both of these uni's are great, however, and I'd personally just pick whichever would be more convenient for me (in terms of travel, networks with older students in times of need - don't worry so much about this though, this will develop regardless). Both will provide you with a degree, and extensive knowledge in the field of in Physics, which is ultimately what you're aiming for.

Edit: I'm looking to transfer to Curtin for a double in Engineering/Physics, so if you choose Curtin, you'll know a PF'er, lol.
 
Last edited:
As a non-Australian, non-engineer, I'd just add to the following two comments.
Cynix said:
Both are great universities from my understanding. UWA is possibly somewhat more "prestigious," however, if you're looking for a university with a prestigious name, you're probably in the wrong country.
Like Cynix mentioned, you shouldn't be really looking for prestige, but as an observation, I've heard of UWA, but not of Curtin. But, again, this might mean nothing.
Cynix said:
From what I've heard from students in the Engineering department, UWA places a far higher value on theory, whereas Curtin increases the emphasis on lab, and technical experience.
If that's true, I'd go with UWA, because I think it's better to err on the side of theory in your undergrad. You can namely remedy the lack of practical knowledge in your first months on the job, but it's much harder doing it the other way around. On one hand, more labs and technical experience might get you a job faster, but the options of someone better-versed in theory are much broader later on. That's what I found thus far, at least.
 
I find the greater emphasis on laboratory and practical experiments keeps me more enthused about future prospects. Getting a taste of what the future holds is very exciting for me. Also, I suspect it would be far easier to learn some theory out of a book than it would be to gain access to labs, etc, to practice your technical skills. Though, if you were guaranteed a job straight out of uni, this wouldn't be a problem.
 
I think theoretical might be better for me. It also looks like I'll be doing a second major in maths probably. Do you think this would change anything?

Would A.N.U be worth considering? In other words is it good enough to warrant the move?