Undergraduate Research in Theory, what fields are feasible?

In summary, Taylor is an undergraduate student at UT Austin majoring in Physics. He plans on finishing his degree in four years and attending graduate school for physics. Taylor has completed all of his introductory courses and has mostly As in his physics and mathematics courses. Next semester, he plans on taking four courses, including an upper division course in scientific computation. He has previous experience working in a bio-physics lab and tutoring introductory physics, but has decided not to continue with these activities next semester. Taylor is interested in pursuing theoretical physics, but is unsure of how to contribute as an undergraduate. He has asked for advice and suggestions for fields or types of research that would be more accessible to undergraduates.
TaylorRatliff
Well, this semester is coming to a close and I need to have form a plan soon for what I will do outside of class in the spring. Let me first begin by giving my background, then I will describe my predicament.

I'm majoring in Physics at UT Austin, and am halfway through my third year. I plan on finishing in four years, and going to graduate school for physics, and taking the academic route. At this point I have completed all of the introductory courses, Classical Dynamics, Modern Physics ( formerly Quantum I, a kind of survey course), as well as "Junior Lab." with straight As in my physics courses. My mathematics courses have included calculus, differential equations, vector cal, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and complex analysis, with mostly As. Next semester I plan on taking quantum 2, statistical mechanics, electrodynamics, and an upper division course in scientific computation in matlab. This schedule can change if taking other classes would benefit my work.

I have managed to make my schedule next semester as time-efficient as possible, having all four classes back to back on MWF as to optimize time spent doing research on campus. This semester, as well as over the summer I worked in a bio-physics lab (entirely within the physics department, center for nonlinear dynamics) and tutored introductory physics for the department. My schedule was a nightmare, I had way too much stuff going on, and I don't feel like I did any of it particularly well. Next semester I will not be tutoring, or working in the same lab. I would like to find a lab or theoretical group I would be better suited in, or perhaps tutor more advanced courses.

My experience in the lab I worked for has led me to believe I should pursue theory, or at least a field of experimental physics in which the projects focus more on the physics and not the engineering of an apparatus. I simply am more satisfied by pursuing problems directly, and I feel that is also what I would excel at. I don't have the patience, or the craftsmanship to spend time in machine shops.

Theoretical physics however does not seem well suited for undergraduates to study, because of the background required. Does anyone know of particular fields or types or research in which undergraduates such as myself can contribute more directly, or have any other advice?

Thanks,
Taylor Ratliff

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow Taylor, you've essentially asked the question as I did in my post! I'm very interested to see what sorts of responses we can get. You are a bit ahead of me class wise and happen to be at an excellent school, are you unable to find any work with professors?

I can't speak for other fields, but I am an undergrad in essentially the same position as you (though with a couple more physics classes and a couple less math classes), and I just got a position in a theoretical quantum computing group starting this spring. I have done a not insignificant amount of self-study in math though, on analysis, algebra, topology, differential geometry, functional analysis, and complex analysis, though, so maybe the professor was impressed that I had taught myself so much outside of class. So, perhaps quantum computing is a little more accessible than most fields? Though I have not even taken a class on quantum computing - so I will be spending most of the spring learning what I need to start to contribute to a project.

It did take a bit more asking around than it took for me to find the experimental group that I was in for the past year and a half (first guy I asked for that position!). I think I asked 2 different theorists beforehand (both in condensed matter) who declined, and one professor (who is both a theorist and an experimentalist) who was going to take me on if I did some coding grunt work as well. It was the fourth professor who agreed to take me on with no strings attached. Luckily he is the one doing the work I am most interested in!

Last edited:
I suppose I should also mention that one of the condensed matter theorists I asked stated that he wasn't taking on any new students - though that could have just been a polite way of saying no! The other one simply never responded to my email inquiry.

TaylorRatliff said:
Theoretical physics however does not seem well suited for undergraduates to study, because of the background required. Does anyone know of particular fields or types or research in which undergraduates such as myself can contribute more directly, or have any other advice?

Find something very heavily numerical in which coding skills are useful. In the case of UT Austin, you might want to look at something that the Institute of Computational Engineering and Sciences is doing. There's a huge about of work that needs to be done with coding and processing runs that's accessible to undergraduates with very basic computer skills.

Related to Undergraduate Research in Theory, what fields are feasible?

1. What is undergraduate research in theory?

Undergraduate research in theory refers to the study and exploration of theoretical concepts and principles in a specific field, conducted by undergraduate students. This type of research typically involves analyzing existing theories, proposing new ones, and critically evaluating their significance and implications.

2. What fields are feasible for undergraduate research in theory?

Almost any field can be feasible for undergraduate research in theory, as long as there are existing theories and concepts to be studied and analyzed. Some common fields include social sciences, natural sciences, humanities, and engineering. However, students should choose a field that aligns with their interests and academic background.

3. What are the benefits of undergraduate research in theory?

Undergraduate research in theory offers numerous benefits, including developing critical thinking and analytical skills, gaining a deeper understanding of a specific field, and preparing for graduate school. It also allows students to work closely with faculty members and potentially publish their research findings.

4. Do I need prior research experience for undergraduate research in theory?

No, prior research experience is not necessary for undergraduate research in theory. However, it can be helpful to have a basic understanding of research methods and techniques. Students can also gain research experience through internships, volunteer opportunities, or taking research-focused courses.

5. How can I get involved in undergraduate research in theory?

To get involved in undergraduate research in theory, students can reach out to their professors or academic advisors to inquire about research opportunities. They can also check their university's website for research programs or attend research fairs and conferences to network with faculty members and peers.