Understanding an electron's emission of electromagnetic waves

Hi to everybody ! I was thinking about something which confuses me about wave emission.
The question is simply the following:
Does an electron emit light when it accelerate? or just during its deceleration? or maybe when acceleration and deceleration alternates in some order? I'm not really sure, so thanks a lot in advance for your help!

Answers and Replies

hilbert2
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
But doesn't acceleration look like deceleration in some other inertial frame? The emission of photons can't depend on that, only the wavelength and direction of the emitted photons does.

Hm, ok I'm more confused. Can you change the fact that V1 > V0 remaining in the same inertial frame ?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hi to everybody ! I was thinking about something which confuses me about wave emission.
The question is simply the following:
Does an electron emit light when it accelerate? or just during its deceleration? or maybe when acceleration and deceleration alternates in some order? I'm not really sure, so thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Is a particle moving around in a circle accelerating? If yes, then look up cyclotron radiation.

I can also jiggle a bunch of electrons up and down, as if they are at the end of a spring. Is this both accelerating and decelerating? Yet, this is more than just a silly analogy, because many light sources around the world generate light when relativistic electron bunches passes through a series of wigglers or undulators that cause them to move just that and generate everything from IR to UV to x-ray to hard x-ray. FEL works on such a principle.

Zz.

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
"Does an electron emit light when it accelerate?"
The simple correct answer is YES.