Understanding Compact Sets: Exploring the Definition and Examples

In summary, Compactness is a property that can be applied to sets in order to determine if said set is not infinite. It can be shown that if an open cover for a set has no finite sub-cover, then the set is considered to be compact. However, if a set has an open cover that does have a finite sub-cover, then the set may not be considered to be compact.
felani
Hello physicsforum -

I recently began self-studying real analysis on a whim and I have run into some trouble understanding the idea of compactness. I have no accessible living sources near me and I have yet to find a source that has explained the matter clearly, so I shall turn here for help.

From my primitive understanding of classifying a set as compact, I understand that every open cover of said set has to have a finite sub-cover that still covers that set. So, in order to declare a set as non-compact, it must be shown that there exists some open cover that has no finite sub-cover. Take, for instance, the closed interval [0, 1]: from what I've read, this is a compact set. A possible open cover for this set would simply be the ball centered at x = 1/2 with a radius greater than 1/2. This is an open cover that has no finite sub-cover - it is a single set so it has no sub-covers! How can [0, 1] be compact if it has an open cover that has no finite sub-cover?

I realize that the previous example might be special since it consists of a singular set as the open cover, and maybe that is what tripped me up; but, here is another example: consider the finite set {1, 2, 3}. From what I've read, all finite sets are compact, so therefore this set is compact. But take the open cover {B1, B2, B3}, where Bi is an open ball with radius 0.1 centered at x = i. If you consider any sub-cover of this open cover, you must remove one of the sets in the open cover. Once you do, your finite sub-cover does not cover the entire set! Again, how can any finite set be compact if it can be shown that there exists an open cover that does not have a finite sub-cover?

I'm either missing something or drawing some wildly incorrect conclusions - if anyone could offer any insight to clear up my muddled thinking I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are being tripped up by the difference between a subset and a proper subset. If S is a set then U is a subset of S if each element of U is also in S. Thus every set is a subset of itself, and the empty set is a subset of every set. A proper subset is a subset that is not equal to the original set. The definition of compact allows non-proper subsets.

If you're really interested in compactness you should find an introductory book on Topology. Munkres is pretty good.

Ah, that makes sense. I had forgotten about that.

Thank you!

And yes I may have to find some other topology sources - I'm working my way through Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis right now (accompanied by whatever else I can find online).

1. What is a compact set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is closed and bounded. This means that the set contains all of its limit points and is contained within a finite distance.

2. What are the properties of a compact set?

A compact set has three main properties: it is closed, bounded, and complete. This means that the set contains all of its limit points, is contained within a finite distance, and contains all of its Cauchy sequences.

3. How is a compact set different from a closed set?

A compact set is a subset of a metric space that is both closed and bounded, while a closed set is simply a subset of a metric space that contains all of its limit points. Essentially, a compact set is a more specific type of closed set.

4. What is the importance of compact sets in mathematics?

Compact sets have many important applications in mathematics, particularly in analysis and topology. They allow for the study of continuity, convergence, and completeness, and are essential in proving many theorems and propositions.

5. Can a compact set be unbounded?

No, a compact set must be both closed and bounded. If a set is unbounded, it cannot be contained within a finite distance and therefore cannot be compact. However, a set can be closed and unbounded, but it would not be considered compact.