Understanding Decay in Stable Nuclei: How and Why It Occurs

In summary, the conversation is about whether stable nuclei can decay. The first speaker is asking for an answer and the second speaker points out that the question is not clear and asks for clarification. The third speaker confirms that stable nuclei do not decay spontaneously and the last speaker thanks them for helping with viva questions.
batool0111
Is stable nuclei decay? if no then how and why know please ans me i am waiting

Physics news on Phys.org
What? I can't make heads or tails of your post. Please get someone to translate a little better for you and get back to us!

The question is apparently important enough for us to jump and answer - he is waiting, you know - but not important enough for him to write clearly and without txt-speak.

the question is. as everyone knows unstable nuclei decays , can stable nuclei decay ? if answer is in yes then how it decays?

As far as I know a stable nucleus will not spontaneously decay. Otherwise it wouldn't be stable.

Isn't that how stable is defined?

ok. thanks for helping me, in preparing viva questions.

Related to Understanding Decay in Stable Nuclei: How and Why It Occurs

1. What is nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus emits particles or energy in order to reach a more stable state. This process is also known as radioactive decay and it occurs naturally in all elements with atomic numbers greater than 1.

2. Why do nuclei decay?

Nuclei decay in order to become more stable. As the nucleus of an atom becomes more complex and contains more particles, it becomes increasingly unstable. In order to reach a more stable state, the nucleus releases energy or particles, which is known as decay.

3. What types of decay can occur in stable nuclei?

There are three main types of decay that can occur in stable nuclei: alpha decay, beta decay, and gamma decay. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle, which is composed of two protons and two neutrons. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle, which can be either an electron or a positron. Gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray, which is a high-energy photon.

4. How is the rate of decay determined?

The rate of decay is determined by the half-life of an element, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. The half-life can vary for different elements and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years. Scientists can use mathematical equations to calculate the half-life of an element and predict the rate of decay.

5. Can decay be controlled or stopped?

The rate of decay in stable nuclei is a natural process and cannot be controlled or stopped. However, scientists can manipulate the rate of decay in unstable nuclei through processes such as nuclear reactions and nuclear fission. These processes involve bombarding nuclei with particles or splitting them apart, which can either speed up or slow down the rate of decay.