Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Understanding derivation of delta-y transform

1. Oct 4, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I was just looking over my textbook, and it mentions a ## \Delta##-y and y-## \Delta## transformation that is helpful for dealing with circuits in these configurations. The equations can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y-Δ_t...xistence_and_uniqueness_of_the_transformation

After looking through the above link and searching for a proper derivation elsewhere, I simply don't seem to understand how the transform equations were derived. If I'm not mistaken, the whole purpose is to be able to evaluate a ## \Delta ## circuit as a Y circuit, and vice versa. Thus, equivalent resistances must be found. But after looking at the derivation provided in the wikipedia link, I don't quite see how it is known that the impedance at a node is: ## R = \frac {R'R''}{\sum R_{\Delta}} ##. Maybe my understanding of nodal analysis is poor, but how is that expression specifically derived?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

YDelta.jpg

Given RA, RB, RC, determine R1,R2,R3 so as the equivalent resistance between any two points is the same in both circuits.
    For 1,2 it means :
    [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_C}+\frac{1}{R_A+R_B}}=R_1+R_2[/tex]
    Write up the other two equations for 2,3 and 3,1, and solve for R1, R2, R3.

Or watch the video

4. Oct 5, 2015 #3
    Thank you! Putting the equation into that form really helped!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook