Understanding Dirac Adjoint Derivation & Spinor Transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the Dirac adjoint and the identities involving Spinors, Gamma matrices, and Lorentz transformations. The main difficulty lies in showing that the last line, which is equal to γ0S[Λ]-1γ0, can also be expressed as exp(-iΩγ0S†γ0), where Ω is a complex variable. The conversation concludes that this is correct, up to order Ω^2.
nigelscott
I am trying to understand the derivation of the Dirac adjoint. I understand the derivation of the following identities involving Spinors, the Gamma matrices and Lorentz transformations:

(Sμν) = γ0Sμνγ0

s[Λ] = exp(ΩμνSμν/2)

s[Λ] = exp(Ωμν(Sμν/2))

The part I'm having trouble with is showing that the last line is also equal to:

γ0S[Λ]-1γ0

Its probably simple but I'm having a mental block with it. Appreciate any help to get me going again.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should also dagger the Omega; it can be complex in general. Without doing the calculation myself, it seems you need the Clifford algebra and give an expression for the inverse of S. But this should be in any decent qft book, like Peskin.

OK. I have been looking at Equation 103 in http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic473482.files/10-spinors.pdf. I don't understand how γ0 get absorbed in the exponential.

Well, ##(\gamma^0)^2 = 1##, so for any ##n##, ##(\gamma^0 S_{\mu\nu}\gamma^0)^n = \gamma^0 (S_{\mu\nu})^n \gamma^0##. Using this and the series expression ##\exp x = \sum \frac{x^n}{n!}## should make this clear. But it is not clear to me how this works for general, complex ##\Omega## as haushofer said...

OK. So just to verify (neglecting indeces):

γ0(1 + iΩS)γ0

multiplying from left and right gives:

γ0γ0 - iΩγ0Sγ0

= exp(-iΩγ0Sγ0)

correct.

Thats what I think (last equal of course up to order ##\Omega^2##).

1. What is the Dirac adjoint and why is it important in spinor transformations?

The Dirac adjoint is a mathematical operation that is used in the derivation of spinor transformations. It is important because it allows us to convert between different representations of spinors, such as between the Dirac representation and the Weyl representation.

2. How is the Dirac adjoint derived?

The Dirac adjoint is derived by taking the Hermitian conjugate of the Dirac equation. This involves taking the complex conjugate of the wavefunction and reversing the order of the gamma matrices.

3. What is a spinor transformation?

A spinor transformation is a mathematical operation that transforms a spinor from one representation to another. This is important in quantum mechanics, where different representations of spinors can be used to describe the same physical system.

4. How do spinor transformations relate to the symmetries of the Dirac equation?

Spinor transformations are closely related to the symmetries of the Dirac equation. In particular, they are related to the Lorentz symmetry, which describes the invariance of physical laws under rotations and boosts in spacetime.

5. How are spinor transformations used in physics?

Spinor transformations are used in various areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and particle physics. They are especially relevant in the study of fundamental particles, such as electrons and neutrinos, which are described by spinors.