Understanding Duhamel's Principle: A Grad Math Survival Guide

• Thread starter Nick Bruno
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Principle
In summary, Duhamel's principle is a mathematical concept used to solve problems involving partial differential equations. It states that the solution to a non-homogeneous equation can be found by integrating the solution to a related homogeneous equation over a range of time. In simpler terms, it allows for a way to solve for the displacement and velocity of a system over time, given initial conditions and an equation describing the system's behavior.
Nick Bruno
Hi, I am having difficulty understanding and applying Duhamel's principle. (I'm not great with math but somehow I found myself in this graduate math class of death)...

From my text its stated that

Ux1x1+Ux2x2+...+Uxnxn - Utt = f(x,t) (for x an element of all real), t>0

u(x,0)=0, ut(x,0) = 0 (for x an element of all real)

Or in words, the laplacian of u minus the second time derivative of u = a function of x and t.
The initial conditions are zero displacement and zero velocity.

Next we can assume some v(x,t;tow) is the solution of a homogeneous wave eqn

vx1x1+vx2x2+...+vxnxn-vtt = 0 (for x an element of all real), t>tow

v(x,tow;tow) = 0, vt(x,tow;tow) = -f(x,tow)

Or in words, the homogeneous wave eqn for t larger than some time tow, with the initial conditions of this equation being zero position and -f(x,tow) velocity.

How on Earth does this work?

I know the solution is

u(x,t) = int( v(x,t;tow)) dtow from zero to t, but i have no idea how i can derive this.

I think i lack a major understanding of this principle. Can someone explain to me in simple terms what this is saying?

Physics news on Phys.org
no advice eh?

Related to Understanding Duhamel's Principle: A Grad Math Survival Guide

1. What is Duhamel's Principle?

Duhamel's Principle is a mathematical concept that allows us to solve certain types of problems involving differential equations. It states that the solution to a non-homogeneous linear differential equation can be obtained by taking the sum of the solutions to the associated homogeneous equation and a particular solution.

2. Why is Duhamel's Principle important?

Duhamel's Principle is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving differential equations that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve. It also allows us to better understand the behavior of systems described by differential equations.

3. How do I use Duhamel's Principle?

To use Duhamel's Principle, you must first have a non-homogeneous linear differential equation and its associated homogeneous equation. Then, you can use the principle to find the solution to the non-homogeneous equation by adding the solution to the homogeneous equation and a particular solution. This particular solution can be found using Green's functions or other methods.

4. Are there limitations to Duhamel's Principle?

Yes, there are limitations to Duhamel's Principle. It can only be applied to linear differential equations, and the principle may not work for all types of non-homogeneous equations. Additionally, it may be difficult or impossible to find a particular solution for some equations.

5. How can I use Duhamel's Principle in my research?

Duhamel's Principle can be used in various fields of science and engineering where differential equations are commonly encountered. It can help in understanding the behavior of systems and can aid in the development of mathematical models. In research, it can be used to solve complex problems and analyze the stability of systems.