Understanding EM Fields: Storage and Transmission of Energy

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Em Energy Fields
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
spaghetti3451
Messages
1,311
Reaction score
31
I have been told that

1. EM fields contain energy.
2. EM fields can store energy, e.g. capacitors.
3. EM fields can transmit energy, e.g. via waves.

How are 1. and 2. any different from each other?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The two statements say the same thing using different words.
 
Thank you very much for your reply.

To move on, I just want your view on this definition of mine.

An electromagnetic field is an arbitrary configuration of electric fields (either finite or infinite in extent) that is either static or changing in time.

If the electromagnetic field changes in time, a magnetic field is induced whose properties and configurations are given by Maxwell's equations of electromgnetism.

Am I right?