Understanding Flux and Gauss's Law in Electric Fields

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter 123yt
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Concept Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
123yt
Messages
30
Reaction score
0
I'm currently trying to understand the concepts behind electric fields, flux, and Gauss's Law, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me.

Flux is the amount of field lines that pass through a surface, so if there's a uniform electric field, will the net flux through any object will be 0?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
123yt said:
I'm currently trying to understand the concepts behind electric fields, flux, and Gauss's Law, so I'd appreciate it if someone could clear some things up for me.

Flux is the amount of field lines that pass through a surface, so if there's a uniform electric field, will the net flux through any object will be 0?

Almost! If I'm not mistaken, Gauss's Law tells us that the flux through a Gaussian surface will only equal zero if there is no charge located within the surface. So, so long as your surface does not contain the charge creating the uniform field, then your current assumptions lay correct.