Understanding Ligand Strength: [Cu(H2O)6]2+ to [CuCl4]2-

In summary, when [Cu(H2O)6]2+ reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid, the chloro ligand displaces the aqua ligand and forms [CuCl4]2-. This is due to the high concentration of Cl- ions, shifting the equilibrium to the right. The change in geometry also plays a role in the ligand substitution reaction. As for the terminology, both aqua and water can be used to refer to H2O, but aqua is more commonly used when discussing ligands.
AryaUnderfoot

Homework Statement

From what I've read, [Cu(H2O)6]2+ when reacts with concentrated hydrochloric acid, the chloro ligand will displace the aqua ligand and form [CuCl4]2-

Homework Equations

[Cu(H2O)6]2+ + 4Cl- <--> [CuCl4]2- + 6H2O
( <---> means reversible reaction, I don't know how to type it out, sorry)

The Attempt at a Solution

But chloro is a weaker ligand than aqua, how can the ligand substitution reaction happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect the high concentration of the Cl- ions is sufficient to shift the equilibrium over to the right (Le Chatelier's principle) enough to cause a majority of the complex ions to undergo the ligand substitution.

Likes AryaUnderfoot
Water concentration is (almost) always much higher.

It is not just about the ligands, you are ignoring change of the geometry. Not that I know it is the answer here - I just see you are not taking it into account.

I also like to ask, since no one comment about that, is water a ligand or aqua? I know that both refer to H2O, but if I want to mention a ligand, which one of them, aqua/aqua ligand/water/water ligand, is more appropriate?

1. What is the definition of ligand strength?

Ligand strength refers to the ability of a molecule or ion, known as a ligand, to bind to a central metal atom or ion through the formation of coordinate bonds.

2. How does ligand strength affect the stability of a coordination compound?

The stronger the ligand, the more stable the coordination compound will be. This is because stronger ligands form stronger coordinate bonds, which are more difficult to break.

3. How does the ligand strength change from [Cu(H2O)6]2+ to [CuCl4]2-?

The ligand strength increases from [Cu(H2O)6]2+ to [CuCl4]2- because chloride ions are stronger ligands than water molecules. This is due to their larger size and greater polarizability, which allows them to form stronger coordinate bonds with the central copper ion.

4. How does the ligand strength affect the color of a coordination compound?

Ligand strength can affect the color of a coordination compound through the phenomenon of ligand field splitting. Stronger ligands cause a larger splitting of the d-orbitals in the central metal ion, resulting in a higher energy difference between the split orbitals and therefore a higher energy of light absorbed. This can lead to a color change in the compound.

5. How can we experimentally determine the ligand strength of a coordination compound?

The ligand strength of a coordination compound can be determined experimentally using a variety of techniques, such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, magnetic susceptibility measurements, and crystal field theory calculations. These methods allow us to measure the energy difference between the split d-orbitals and determine the strength of the ligand based on the resulting color and magnetic properties of the compound.