Understanding Limits with Two Path Tests

In summary: Some pathological points where the denominator becomes 0 are:-y = x^2-x = -y-x = y^2-y = -x-y = 2x-y = 3x-y = 4x-y = 5x-y = 6x-y = 7x-y = 8xThere are many pathological points where the denominator becomes 0. To be suspicious of there not being a limit, consider any point where the denominator becomes 0. Some pathological points where the denominator becomes 0 are:-y = x^2-x = -y-x
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Wx0tkw8.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Wx0tkw8.jpg
(example 3b)

Homework Equations

limit of multivariable equation
Two path test

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor told us that we should only use two paths test only if we predict there isn't any limit... but how can we 'sense' there aren't limit?? (take e.g. 3b...)
moreover, where are the two paths come from? (I don't feel like y=0 and y=-x^2 have any connection to the required function...)

any help would be appreciated~~~
thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
In 3b, the x and y have different powers inside the sin(). Everything else is the same for them. So you can suspect that the limits for the path y≡0, x→0 and the path x≡0, y→0, may be different.

Picking the path where y = -x2 is clever. It makes the numerator always 0 on that path, so that limit on that path is 0.

FactChecker said:
Everything else is the same for them
What does it imply for everything the same??
(indeed y is to power 1 in numerator and denominator y is to power 2...)
FactChecker said:
y≡0, x→0 and the path x≡0, y→0
as they are both tends to 0, why are they may be different??

Thank you!

yecko said:
What does it imply for everything the same??
If there is one significant difference and everything else is identical, you can more easily determine what the effect of that one difference will be.
as they are both tends to 0, why are they may be different??
That is not true. Even though both numerator and denominator go to 0, they go to zero at different rates. The limits will depend on the rates. I don't know what techniques you have to analyse that. If you know the "small angle approximation", you can use that here.

Likes yecko
FactChecker said:
Even though both numerator and denominator go to 0, they go to zero at different rates
oh! I get it! use l'hospitals rule, right?
yecko said:
moreover, where are the two paths come from? (I don't feel like y=0 and y=-x^2 have any connection to the required function...)
I am still doubting where y=-x^2 comes from... or it is just any random functions do?

thanks

yecko said:
oh! I get it! use l'hospitals rule, right?
Yes. That will work. Or you can use the small angle approximation sin(θ) ≈ θ if θ ≈ 0.
I am still doubting where y=-x^2 comes from... or it is just any random functions do?
It makes x2 + y ≡ 0 on that path. So the numerator is 0 on that path.

One thing to note. Sine function is odd, while a parabola is even. But sine of x^2 is going to be even, since its argument is always positive. You could use that knowledge to help predict that it may not work from 2 different paths. Set y = 0 then consider x -> 0. Then do the same with x=0 and y->0. How do they differ?

yecko said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 211935
https://i.imgur.com/Wx0tkw8.jpg
(example 3b)

Homework Equations

limit of multivariable equation
Two path test

The Attempt at a Solution

My instructor told us that we should only use two paths test only if we predict there isn't any limit... but how can we 'sense' there aren't limit?? (take e.g. 3b...)

any help would be appreciated~~~
thank you very much!

For question (b), change to polar coordinates ##x = r \cos \theta## and ##y = r \sin \theta##.

yecko said:
My instructor told us that we should only use two paths test only if we predict there isn't any limit... but how can we 'sense' there aren't limit?? (take e.g. 3b.
My guess is that your instructor means this:
To prove it does not converge to the same value on all paths, you should try to find two paths with different limits; to prove it does converge on all paths you need to use a more comprehensive approach - no matter how many specific paths you test you will still not have proved it.
At first, you may not know which is true, so be prepared to alternate. If the limit is the same on a few interesting looking paths then try to prove the general result; when that fails, try to understand why it eludes you, as that can give the clue as to what pathological path to try.

To be suspicious of there not being a limit, consider any point where the denominator becomes 0. If the numerator and/or denominator approaches 0 at different rates depending on the path (proportional to different powers of the variables), then you should look hard at that.

FactChecker said:
To be suspicious of there not being a limit, consider any point where the denominator becomes 0. If the numerator and/or denominator approaches 0 at different rates depending on the path (proportional to different powers of the variables), then you should look hard at that.

The suggestion in #8 will show immediately what is happening.

Thank you very much for all your replies!

Related to Understanding Limits with Two Path Tests

What is the concept of "Understanding Limits with Two Path Tests"?

The concept of "Understanding Limits with Two Path Tests" is a mathematical technique used to evaluate the limit of a function at a particular point. It involves using two different paths or approaches to the point in question and comparing the resulting limits. This helps determine if the limit exists and what its value is.

How do you perform the two path tests for evaluating limits?

To perform the two path tests, start by evaluating the limit using one path, such as approaching the point from the left or right side. Then, evaluate the limit using another path, such as approaching the point along a different curve or using a different variable. Compare the resulting limits to see if they are equal, indicating that the limit exists, or if they are different, indicating that the limit does not exist.

What are the two path tests used in understanding limits?

The two path tests used in understanding limits are the squeeze theorem and the direct substitution method. The squeeze theorem involves using two other functions that are always greater than or equal to the original function, and approaching the point of interest along these functions. The direct substitution method involves substituting the value of the point into the function and evaluating the resulting expression.

Why are two path tests used to evaluate limits?

The use of two path tests helps to provide a more accurate evaluation of the limit. It allows for the consideration of different approaches to the point in question, which can reveal important information about the behavior of the function. This also helps to ensure that the limit is not dependent on the path taken to reach the point, providing a more reliable result.

When should two path tests be used to evaluate limits?

Two path tests should be used to evaluate limits when the limit at a particular point is not immediately apparent or when there is a suspected discontinuity or point of divergence in the function. They can also be used to confirm the existence or non-existence of a limit and to provide a more precise value for the limit.