Understanding Nested Ordered Pairs: Properties & Examples

In summary, a nested ordered pair is a way of modeling tuples in set theory using nested parentheses. The notation (a1, a2,... an) = (a1(a2, a3,..., an)) is used, indicating that the elements are nested within each other. The second element in the latter part of the equation can have multiple elements, but the whole thing is still considered an ordered pair. This notation can also be written as (a1, (a2, (a3, ...))). The innermost ordered pair is typically written as (an, ∅). This notation allows for the representation of multiple objects within a single ordered pair.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

One way of modeling tuples in set theory is through nested ordered pairs. A notation I'm not familiar with (I'm assuming it means that the following elements are nested into the last one) is used. (a1, a2, a2,... an) = (a1(a2, a3,..., an)). I have never seen the second "(" in the latter part of the equation. My question is what is a nested ordered pair? What are its properties? How can the second element in the latter part of the equation, have lots of elements; while, the whole thing still be an ordered pair? Nested generally means something in something, and an ordered pair is a couple or two tuple, but I can't seem to put the two together.

Homework Equations

None that I know of

The Attempt at a Solution

I've spent about 30 minutes searching and I still can't find a definition.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen that notation before. I have seen the ordered pair defined as the un ordered pair (a, (a, b)).
The point is simply that the un ordered pair (a, (a, b)) tells you that there are two objects, a and b, and that a is being treated differently from b since it is named twice.

I would guess it means as ##(a_1, (a_2, (a_3, (...))))##. This is an ordered pair. The second element is an ordered pair. The second element of that is an ordered pair...
Having written that I did a quick search and found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuple#Tuples_as_nested_ordered_pairs. This adds the interesting clean-up of making the the innermost ordered pair ##(a_n, \phi)##, which is neater than finishing with ##(a_{n-1}, a_n)##.

Likes Prof. 27

Related to Understanding Nested Ordered Pairs: Properties & Examples

1. What is a nested ordered pair?

A nested ordered pair is a set of two or more ordered pairs, where the elements of the pairs are also sets. This means that the elements of the pairs are themselves sets, making the entire structure nested.

2. What are the properties of nested ordered pairs?

The properties of nested ordered pairs include the following:

• Order: The order of the elements within each pair is important, as it determines which element is the first and which is the second.
  • Nesting: The elements of the pairs are themselves sets, making the entire structure nested.
  • Uniqueness: Each element within a pair must be unique, meaning that the same element cannot appear more than once within a pair.

3. How are nested ordered pairs written?

Nested ordered pairs are typically written using parentheses to separate the elements within each pair, and curly braces to indicate the sets within the pairs. For example: {(1,2),(3,4),(5,6)}.

4. What are some examples of nested ordered pairs?

Examples of nested ordered pairs include the coordinates of points on a graph, such as (2,3) or (-1,5). Another example is the elements and their corresponding atomic numbers in the periodic table, where each element is represented by an ordered pair of (element name, atomic number).

5. How are nested ordered pairs used in mathematics?

Nested ordered pairs are used in mathematics to represent and organize data, such as coordinates and relationships between sets. They are also used in mathematical proofs and formulas to represent and manipulate sets and their elements.