Discrete Mathematics - Void Sets being Subsets of other Void Sets

In summary, the question is asking whether R is an order relation on the set X = {∅, {∅}, {{∅}} } and R ε ⊆. The attempt at a solution includes listing out potential ordered pairs, but there is confusion about which pairs are actually valid. The discussion concludes that {∅} is not a subset of {{∅}} because the empty set is not a member of {{∅}}.
johnstobbart

Homework Statement

Hello.

Here is the question:
Determine whether or not R is some sort of order relation on the given set X.

X = {∅, {∅}, {{∅}} } and R ε ⊆.

I can't seem to figure out why the ordered pairs given are what they are.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I first wrote out was:
R = { (∅, {∅}), ({∅}, {{∅}}), (∅, {{∅}}) }

Which is missing some ordered pairs. Also, my book says ({∅}, {{∅}}) is not an element of ⊆.

I tried to use my limited logic to understand the answer given, and this is what I got:

(∅, ∅) is an ordered pair because all the elements of ∅ are in ∅.
(∅, {∅}) is an ordered pair because ∅ is a member of {∅}.
(∅, {{∅}}) This causes some confusion. My book says the only member of {{∅}} is {∅}, but the first coordinate has to be a subset of the second coordinate. If ∅ is not an element of {{∅}}, how can it be a subset?
({∅}, {∅}) is an ordered pair because they are equal and subsets of each other.
({{∅}}, {{∅}}) same as above.

I don't understand why {∅} is not a subset of {{∅}}. {∅} is an element of {{∅}}, and should be a subset of it to my understanding because all the elements of {∅} are also within {{∅}}.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are not distingishing between being a subset and being a member of a set.
{∅} is not a subset of {{∅}} because {∅} contains the empty set as a member and {{∅}} does NOT. "All the elements of {∅} are also within {{∅}}" is not true. The only member of {∅} is the empty set and that is NOT a member of {{∅}} because it only member is {∅}, not the empty set. The empty set is a subset of every set but not necessarily a member.

Thanks for the reply HallsofIvy. That explains why ∅ is a subset of {{∅}}, while {∅} is not. ∅ is a subset of every set, while {∅} is not because that it is the set that contains only ∅. Is that correct?

1. What is a void set in discrete mathematics?

A void set in discrete mathematics is a set that contains no elements. It is also known as an empty set. This means that there are no objects or elements that belong to the set.

2. Can a void set be a subset of another void set?

Yes, a void set can be a subset of another void set. This is because a subset is a set that contains all the elements of another set. Since a void set has no elements, it can be considered a subset of any other set, including another void set.

3. What is the significance of void sets being subsets of other void sets?

The significance of void sets being subsets of other void sets lies in the idea of set theory and the concept of subsets. It shows that even though a void set has no elements, it can still be a part of a larger set, which follows the rules and properties of set theory.

4. How do we represent void sets in discrete mathematics?

Void sets can be represented using the empty set symbol, ∅, or by using curly brackets with nothing inside, {}. Both representations convey the idea that the set is empty and has no elements.

5. Can a void set be a proper subset of another void set?

Yes, a void set can be a proper subset of another void set. A proper subset is a subset that contains fewer elements than the original set. Since a void set has no elements, it can be considered a proper subset of any other set, including another void set.