Understanding of projectiles from physics

In summary, the person is looking for a crash course on mechanics. They have a basic understanding of projectiles from physics and mathematics, but need help with the procedures required to solve questions. They also ask questions in the homework forum.
Mentallic
Homework Helper
I was unfortunate enough to have sports on the days of my mechanics classes so I've basically missed most if not all of the basics of this topic, and a test is coming up shortly.

What I need is a crash course on this topic. Extension 2 mathematics (Australian high school) on mechanics (projectiles in resistive mediums, pendulums etc.).

I already have a basic understanding of projectiles from physics and extension 1 maths, such as the horizontal and vertical components, displacement, velocity and acceleration etc.

I know a few formulas thus far such as:

[tex]w=\frac{d\theta}{dt}[/tex]

[tex]v=rw[/tex]

[tex]a=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]

If you guys have any tips on the basic procedures required to solve each type of question, I would really appreciate it. I'll also be asking questions in the homework forum, without much attempt, because I'm seriously lost on all this.

Physics news on Phys.org

Wow I've seen you on the forums for so long and didn't even realize! I'm doing Ext2 Maths as well, I just had my trial this week!

Well if you have a couple of days, you can still cover it all in time. Start with resisted motion. The key is knowing the relations between the variables - time, position, velocity and acceleration.

You need to know the three forms to express acceleration:

[tex] a = \frac{dv}{dt} = v \frac{dv}{dx} = \frac{1}{2} \frac{dv}{dx}[/tex].
These allow to to describe the motion as functions of position as well as time. The key is to read the question carefully and express the information you have in the form that relates the variables know to the variables required.

If you want, get one of your textbooks and I'll help you though some examples and questions.

Oh wow you're doing ext2 maths? Your profile makes it seem like you're well into university already. (linear algebra, real and complex analysis?), I admire your ability to go ahead enough so that you can enjoy the topic. I attempted to learn linear algebra through the MIT lectures on youtube once... it was horrific by the 3rd lecture! There's no way one can understand everything just through lectures.

Thanks I'll keep those equations in mind, and I think you meant [tex]a=\frac{1}{2}\frac{d(v^2)}{dx}[/tex] :smile:

I'll post links in here to the homework section, for ease.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, shot, or otherwise propelled through the air. It follows a curved path due to the force of gravity acting upon it.

2. How is the motion of a projectile affected by air resistance?

The presence of air resistance can affect the motion of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is why objects with greater surface area, such as a feather, experience more air resistance and fall more slowly than objects with smaller surface area, such as a ball.

3. What factors determine the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. The higher the initial velocity and the smaller the launch angle, the greater the range will be. The force of gravity will also affect the range, with a stronger force resulting in a shorter range.

4. How does the height of a launch affect the motion of a projectile?

The height of a launch affects the motion of a projectile by changing the initial potential energy of the object. A higher launch will result in a greater potential energy, which will then be converted into kinetic energy as the object moves through the air. This can affect the projectile's range and trajectory.

5. Can a projectile's motion be accurately predicted using physics?

Yes, a projectile's motion can be accurately predicted using the laws of physics, specifically the equations of motion for projectile motion. These equations take into account factors such as gravity, initial velocity, and launch angle to determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of a projectile at any given time.