Understanding partial solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter azuralshadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partial
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a differential equation with sinusoidal input and initial conditions. The method of Undetermined Coefficients is suggested, with a particular solution of Csin(t)+Dcos(t) where C and D are constants. This method is further explained with a reference to an example.
azuralshadow
hello, I've spent a good couple hours diving back into the world of differential equations after being out of the game for a good 2 years. I started getting a hang of solving them till i came across this problem:
Solve the following differential equation with the 3 given cases, all of the systems have a sinusoidal input 'y' and start undeflected and at rest.
X'' + 2(A)(B)X' + (B^2)X = y
Initial conditions x' = 0 , x = 0 , y = sin(t)

Case 1: A = 0.5 , B = 10
Case 2: A = 1.0 , B = 10
Case 3: A = 2.0 , B = 10

Honestly the part I am having the hardest time doing is figuring out how to make a good guess at a particle solution after that i understand how to get to a general solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
azuralshadow said:
hello, I've spent a good couple hours diving back into the world of differential equations after being out of the game for a good 2 years. I started getting a hang of solving them till i came across this problem:
Solve the following differential equation with the 3 given cases, all of the systems have a sinusoidal input 'y' and start undeflected and at rest.
X'' + 2(A)(B)X' + (B^2)X = y
Initial conditions x' = 0 , x = 0 , y = sin(t)

Case 1: A = 0.5 , B = 10
Case 2: A = 1.0 , B = 10
Case 3: A = 2.0 , B = 10

Honestly the part I am having the hardest time doing is figuring out how to make a good guess at a particle solution after that i understand how to get to a general solution.

Hi azuralshadow, :)

This can be solved using the method of Undetermined Coefficients. Take the particular solution as \(y_{p}=C\sin t+D\cos t\) where \(C\) and \(D\) are constants to be determined. You can find some useful ideas here(Refer to example 3).

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Understanding partial solutions

1. What is a partial solution?

A partial solution is a solution that only partially addresses a problem or question. It may not completely solve the problem, but it provides some progress towards finding a complete solution.

2. Why is it important to understand partial solutions?

Understanding partial solutions is important because it allows for incremental progress towards finding a complete solution. It also helps in identifying potential flaws or limitations in the solution, which can lead to further improvements.

3. How can partial solutions be useful in scientific research?

Partial solutions can be useful in scientific research as they can provide insights and data that can be used to develop a more comprehensive solution. They can also help in understanding the underlying mechanisms and processes involved in a problem.

4. What are some common challenges in understanding partial solutions?

Some common challenges in understanding partial solutions include the lack of context, incomplete data or information, and the complexity of the problem. It can also be difficult to determine the reliability and validity of a partial solution.

5. How can one improve their understanding of partial solutions?

To improve understanding of partial solutions, one can break down the problem into smaller parts, analyze the available data and information, and consult with other experts in the field. It is also important to critically evaluate the potential limitations and implications of the partial solution.