Understanding Plasma: Definition, Properties, and Temperature Considerations

In summary, a plasma is an ionized gas that can be either hot or cold. Being ionized does not necessarily imply being hot, as a plasma can exist at the standard temperature of 300 K. However, when a plasma is cooled, the electrons and ions lose kinetic energy and can bond again to form atoms. It is important to note that different types of ionized particles can exist in a plasma, such as atoms, protons, and bare nuclei.
physics user1
So, on wikipedia is said that a plasma is an ionized gas, just that, but when we think about plasma we think that is hot, so here's the question:

What is the right definition of plasma?

Does being a ionized gas also imply being hot and then saying only that is an ionized gas is enough?

I mean can a ionized gas exist at the standard temperature of 300 K?

Since a plasma is a blob of electrons and ions once they get cooled they loose kinetic energy and tend to bond again forming atoms right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cozma Alex said:
So, on wikipedia is said that a plasma is an ionized gas,
That is the correct definition of plasma. Plasma does not have to always be hot. It can be cold, too.

Likes physics user1
ProfuselyQuarky said:
That is the correct definition of plasma. Plasma does not have to always be hot. It can be cold, too.

But how can it be cold if the ions and the electrons recombine if there is not enough energy?

Cozma Alex said:
But how can it be cold if the ions and the electrons recombine if there is not enough energy?
Not sure what you mean. The ions and electrons don't recombine. Nonthermal plasma is partially ionized gas. Most of the energy is stored in the free electrons and the overall temperature of the plasma is low.

Likes physics user1
Fire is a cold plasma?

Likes physics user1
ProfuselyQuarky said:
Not sure what you mean. The ions and electrons don't recombine. Nonthermal plasma is partially ionized gas. Most of the energy is stored in the free electrons and the overall temperature of the plasma is low.

But, if you have a plasma, and you freeze it, don't the electrons recombine forming atoms and then returning to gas?

Cozma Alex said:
But, if you have a plasma, and you freeze it, don't the electrons recombine forming atoms and then returning to gas?

Freezing is a specific phase transition, when a liquid turns into a solid. However you are correct that if you lower the temperature of the plasma the electrons will recombine with the ions/atom to form a gas.

Note that there is a difference between a cold and a hot plasma. I don't know the details, but I'd guess the "cold" plasma is only cold relative to a fully ionized plasma which is "hot". A cold plasma is not cold enough to recombine.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and physics user1
So, here is the point, how can a plasma be cold if once you low the temperature (by saying freezing I was meaning cooling) it return to gas?

Using electric fields to leave the ions and electrons separated?
Is this right?

I edited my post to explain what I know on that (which isn't much). Not sure if you saw it or not.

Drakkith said:
I edited my post to explain what I know on that (which isn't much). Not sure if you saw it or not.

Yes I just saw it thanks :)

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Uh, fire isn't actually plasma, at all. I've heard a bunch of (seemingly) knowledgeable people say opposite things, but fire is not plasma.

From your link: "To create a plasma takes more energy, and requires a higher temperature than the flame provides. The collisions between atoms need to be energetic enough to kick an electron completely out of the atom."

Cozma Alex said:
So, on wikipedia is said that a plasma is an ionized gas, just that, but when we think about plasma we think that is hot, so here's the question:

What is the right definition of plasma?

Does being a ionized gas also imply being hot and then saying only that is an ionized gas is enough?

I mean can a ionized gas exist at the standard temperature of 300 K?

Since a plasma is a blob of electrons and ions once they get cooled they loose kinetic energy and tend to bond again forming atoms right?
Note that ionized Lithium is an atom whereas ionized Hydrogen is a proton. An alpha particle (or He+2) is also a bare nucleus.

1. What is plasma?

Plasma is a state of matter that is found in the universe and is often referred to as the fourth state of matter. It is a gas-like substance that consists of a highly energized collection of particles, such as electrons and ions, that have become separated from their atoms.

2. What are the properties of plasma?

Plasma has unique properties that distinguish it from other states of matter. It is highly electrically conductive, can be affected by magnetic fields, and can generate electromagnetic waves. It also has the ability to flow and respond to electric and magnetic fields.

3. How is plasma created?

Plasma can be created by heating a gas to extremely high temperatures, or by subjecting it to strong electromagnetic fields. When the energy of the particles in the gas becomes high enough, they break away from their atoms and become ionized, creating plasma.

4. What are some real-world applications of plasma?

Plasma has many practical applications, including in the fields of energy generation, space propulsion, and industrial processes. It is also used in the creation of computer chips and in medical treatments, such as plasma TVs and plasma-based cancer therapies.

5. What is the temperature of plasma?

The temperature of plasma can vary greatly depending on the source and the conditions in which it is created. In general, plasma can range from thousands of degrees Celsius in the sun's core to millions of degrees in lightning bolts. In laboratory settings, it can be created at temperatures ranging from a few thousand to a few million degrees Celsius.