Understanding Power Series Derivatives: A Question

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relation between two functions f(x) and g(x) and their respective power series terms. The question is whether knowing a derivative relation between two specific terms can be generalized to the entire functions. The answer is no, as it must be true for all terms in the series to conclude that f(x) is the derivative of g(x).
fresnelspot
Hi

My confusion is about this power series.

If derivative of a function (f(x)) is another function(g(x)) then, this holds for the series terms of the functions.
My question is If one knows this derivation relation Just two equal labelled series terms of two other functions. And one term is exactly the differential of the other Then can we generelize this relation for the "big " functions?
Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Your message is confusing. Among other things what are "big" functions? Also what do mean by "equally labelled series"?

:)

by "big " functions i mean the sum of all terms .
by "equal labelled" i mean they both will be the nth terms of the series expansions they belong.

Let me see if I understand this. You're saying that a function f(x) is a derivative of another function g(x) if the nth term of f(x) is a derivative of the (n+1)th term of the power series of g(x)? Or are you asking if the converse is true? Or something else entirely?

Defennder said:
Let me see if I understand this. You're saying that a function f(x) is a derivative of another function g(x) if the nth term of f(x) is a derivative of the (n+1)th term of the power series of g(x)? Or are you asking if the converse is true? Or something else entirely?

just to be clear with Defennder's question, if

[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} a_n x^n [/tex]

and

[tex] g(x) = \sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} b_n x^n [/tex]

and [itex] f(x) = (d/dx)g(x) [/itex]

then we know that

[tex] a_n = (n+1)b_{n+1} \ \ \ \forall n \ge 0[/tex]

knowing all of the an is sufficient to tell us what the bn are except for b0, which is information that is lost forever when g(x) is differentiated.

dunno if that is the question that was asked.

I am very sorry for my verbal skills .The problem is confusing for me so it becomes more difficult to explain it in words.
My problem is this :
The concept is clear when we see the relation between f and g and reflect this relation to the series terms.

What if we know there is a derivation relation between two terms ( we only know these terms . For example we have experient data of these two functions for a limited region . they are both kth series terms of their function ) . Can we generalize this derivation relation to the functions

fresnelspot said:
My problem is this :
The concept is clear when we see the relation between f and g and reflect this relation to the series terms.

What if we know there is a derivation [derivative?] relation between two terms ( we only know these terms . For example we have experient data of these two functions for a limited region . they are both kth series terms of their function ) . Can we generalize this derivation relation to the functions

no, only knowing that

[tex] a_n = (n+1)b_{n+1} [/tex]

for some particular n is not sufficient to say that [itex] f(x) = (d/dx)g(x) [/itex]. you must know that

[tex] a_n = (n+1)b_{n+1} \ \ \ \forall \ n \ge 0[/tex]

which means for all [itex]\ n \ge 0 \ [/itex] to be able to conclude that [itex] f(x) = (d/dx)g(x) [/itex].

thanx

1. What is a power series derivative?

A power series derivative is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a power series. It is similar to regular derivatives, but instead of dealing with a single variable, it involves an infinite series of terms.

2. How do you find the derivative of a power series?

To find the derivative of a power series, you can use the power rule, which states that the derivative of xn is nxn-1. You would apply this rule to each term in the power series and then combine the results to get the derivative of the entire series.

3. What is the importance of understanding power series derivatives?

Understanding power series derivatives is important in many fields of science and mathematics, as it allows for the analysis of complex functions and the calculation of rates of change. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is essential for solving many problems in physics and engineering.

4. Are there any applications of power series derivatives?

Yes, there are many applications of power series derivatives, including in physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model natural phenomena, such as the motion of objects and the behavior of electrical circuits, as well as to make predictions and solve problems in these fields.

5. What are some common mistakes when working with power series derivatives?

Some common mistakes when working with power series derivatives include forgetting to apply the power rule correctly, overlooking the need for convergence checks, and making errors in algebraic manipulations. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.