Understanding sensitivity of a variable using derivatives

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the sensitivity of the variable K to x and y, with both x and y being positive decimals less than 1. The goal is to find a percentage change in K resulting from a 1% increase in y. However, the derivatives provided in the attached file are not providing much help. The suggested approach is to calculate the differential of K using the given equations and input values for x and y. However, it is noted that a general statement about the relationship between a 1% change in y and a percentage change in K may not be possible due to the dependence on the base values of x and y, and the potential for misleading results when the denominator is close to zero.
musicgold
Hi,

Please see the attached file.

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out K’s sensitivity to x and y. I wish to know which variable K is more sensitive to. Both x and y are positive decimals less than 1.

I want to be able to say a 1% increase in y results in a p% change in K. As the attached file shows, the derivatives are not helping me much here.

How should I go about this problem?

Homework Equations

See the attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached file.

Attachments

• Sensitivity of K.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 197
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

I am trying to figure out K’s sensitivity to x and y. I wish to know which variable K is more sensitive to. Both x and y are positive decimals less than 1.

I want to be able to say a 1% increase in y results in a p% change in K. As the attached file shows, the derivatives are not helping me much here.

Homework Equations

See the attached file.

The Attempt at a Solution

See the attached file.

If you type up your work I will be happy to look at it. Otherwise, not (along with many other helpers in this forum).

musicgold said:
Hi,

Homework Statement

Calculate the differential of K, which is ##dK = \frac{\partial K}{\partial x}dx + \frac{\partial K}{\partial y}dy##
To get a value for the differential, you will need values for x, y, dx, and dy.

BTW, everything you did in longhand and posted as a PDF can be done using LaTeX, and posted directly into this pane. We prefer to see the work here, rather than having to open a PDF or open a window on another site. Posting work as an image makes it difficult for us to insert comments at the precise point where an error appears. We have a LaTeX tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Please see the problem in Latex form.## K = \frac {1-y} {1-y-x} ## ---------------------- 1

differentiating K by y

## \frac {dK} {dy} = \frac {(-1). (1-y-x) - (1-y) . (-1)} { (1-y-x)^2 } ##

## \frac {dK} {dy} = \frac {x} { 1 + y^2 +x^2 + 2xy -2x-2y } ## ---------------------- 2 differentiating eqn 1 by x

## \frac {dK} {dx} = \frac {0 - (1-y) . (-1)} { (1-y-x)^2 } ##

## \frac {dK} {dx} = \frac {1-y} { 1 + y^2 +x^2 + 2xy -2x-2y } ## ---------------------- 3

musicgold said:
Please see the problem in Latex form.## K = \frac {1-y} {1-y-x} ## ---------------------- 1

differentiating K by y

## \frac {dK} {dy} = \frac {x} { 1 + y^2 +x^2 + 2xy -2x-2y } ## ---------------------- 2
This is really a partial derivative, which in LaTeX looks like this: ## \frac{\partial K} {\partial y}##, and renders like this ##\frac {\partial K} {\partial y}##.
Also, there's really no point in expanding ##(1 - y - x)^2##. Same comments for the work below.

Otherwise, both partials look fine.
musicgold said:
differentiating eqn 1 by x

## \frac {dK} {dx} = \frac {1-y} { 1 + y^2 +x^2 + 2xy -2x-2y } ## ---------------------- 3

Now plug things into the equation for the differential of K (dK) that I gave in post #3. Since you are holding x fixed, then dx = 0, but you'll need some values for x and y. If all you know is that x < 1 and y < 1, then you might be able to get an upper bound on the size of dK relative to a dy.

musicgold said:

differentiating K by y

## \frac {dK} {dy} = \frac {x} { 1 + y^2 +x^2 + 2xy -2x-2y } ## ---------------------- 2 differentiating eqn 1 by x

I don't think you can make any convincing general statement like "a ##1\%## change in ##y## produces a ##p\%## change in ##K##". The effect of a ##1\%## change in ##y## depends very much on the base values of ##x## and ##y##, and things become especially tricky when the denominator is small (close to vanishing, but not quite), because in that case the derivatives may present a very misleading picture of the actual changes for given ##\Delta x## and/or ##\Delta y##.

What is the meaning of sensitivity in terms of derivatives?

Sensitivity in terms of derivatives refers to the extent to which a function's output changes in response to changes in its input. It measures the rate of change of the function with respect to its input and is represented by the derivative of the function.

How is sensitivity related to the shape of a function?

The sensitivity of a function is closely related to its shape. A function with a steep slope will have a high sensitivity, meaning small changes in its input will result in large changes in its output. On the other hand, a function with a flatter slope will have a lower sensitivity, meaning it will require larger changes in its input to produce significant changes in its output.

What is the difference between sensitivity and slope?

Sensitivity and slope are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Sensitivity measures how much a function's output changes in response to changes in its input, while slope measures the steepness of a function at a particular point. Sensitivity is represented by the derivative of a function, while slope is represented by the tangent line to a function at a specific point.

Why is understanding sensitivity important in science?

Understanding sensitivity is crucial in science because it allows us to make predictions and analyze how a system will behave under different conditions. By knowing the sensitivity of a variable, we can determine how much it will change in response to changes in other variables. This is particularly useful in fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics, where small changes in variables can have significant impacts on the overall system.

How can derivatives be used to determine sensitivity?

Derivatives are used to determine sensitivity by calculating the rate of change of a function with respect to its input. This rate of change, or slope, gives us an indication of how sensitive the function is to changes in its input. By taking the derivative of a function and evaluating it at a specific point, we can determine the sensitivity of that function at that particular point.