Understanding Summation and Latex: A Simple Explanation

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the problem is that the summation is over n1, from 0 to infinity, and there is an x1 and x2 (they're just constants). The correct answer is supposed to be an (x1+x2).
quasar_4
I feel so silly asking this question, but is (the summation is over n1 from 1 to infinity. I have no idea how to type it with the latex)

[tex]\sum[/tex](x1^n1)/n1!*(x^(n-n1))/(n-n1)!

= lim[tex](_{n1 \rightarrow \infty})[/tex] (1 + x/n1)^n1 * lim[tex](_{n1 \rightarrow \infty})[/tex] (1 + x/(n-n1))^(n-n1)

= exp(x1)*exp(x2)

?

I know it's simple, but I'm just not sure what the rules are for products inside sums. And also, how the heck do you learn the whole latex thing? I can't for the life of me it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x1^n^1)}{n1!}[/tex] [tex]\ast[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x^(^n^-^n^1^))}{(n-n1)!}[/tex]

is this correct so far?

quasar_4 said:
I feel so silly asking this question, but is (the summation is over n1 from 1 to infinity. I have no idea how to type it with the latex)

[tex]\sum[/tex](x1^n1)/n1!*(x^(n-n1))/(n-n1)!

= lim[tex](_{n1 \rightarrow \infty})[/tex] (1 + x/n1)^n1 * lim[tex](_{n1 \rightarrow \infty})[/tex] (1 + x/(n-n1))^(n-n1)

= exp(x1)*exp(x2)
?

I know it's simple, but I'm just not sure what the rules are for products inside sums. And also, how the heck do you learn the whole latex thing? I can't for the life of me it out.
Please start by telling us what the problem really is! In your first sum you have "x1" and "x". In second line, only "x" and then in the third line "x1" and "x2".

oh yes, it does seem that I missed some details (it was late at night :rofl:).

The summation is over n1, from 0 to infinity, and there is an x1 and x2 (they're just constants). So it's just what offtheleft has written, except I forgot to put x2 instead of x on the second term At first I thought that this would just turn into two exponentials, because each of the pieces resemble exponentials, but I'm not so sure now. I don't know much about how sums fit into algebra (having only seen them for the most part in calculus and linear algebra, but never for the sake of learning their properties).

Is it ever the general case that the sum (x*y) = sum(x)*sum(y)? I guess I can answer my own question with a counterexample...

so in that case, how do I simplify my sum? In the end I think the correct answer is supposed to be an (x1+x2).

What is a simple summation?

A simple summation is a mathematical process of adding together a set of numbers to find their total sum. It is usually denoted by the symbol ∑ (sigma).

What is the formula for simple summation?

The formula for simple summation is ∑x = x1 + x2 + x3 + ... + xn, where x1, x2, x3, ..., xn are the numbers being added together.

What is the purpose of using simple summation?

The purpose of using simple summation is to find the total sum of a set of numbers quickly and efficiently. It is commonly used in statistics, economics, and other fields to analyze data and make calculations.

What is the difference between simple summation and cumulative summation?

The main difference between simple summation and cumulative summation is that simple summation calculates the total sum of a set of numbers, while cumulative summation calculates the running total as each number is added to the sum. In other words, cumulative summation takes into account the previous sums in addition to the current number being added.

Can simple summation be used for non-numerical data?

No, simple summation is typically used for numerical data only. However, there are other methods such as concatenation or aggregation that can be used for non-numerical data.