Understanding the approach to equilibrium for a statistical system

In summary: However, this is not the only definition of entropy that is used in statistical mechanics, and so other interpretations may lead to different partition functions.
FunkHaus
I have studied statistical mechanics using F. Reif's book, and learned a lot, but there are still a couple very fundamental questions which still elude me. If anyone would be willing to share some insight, I would really appreciate it!

So Reif early on discusses the fundamental postulate of statistical mechanics:
"A system in equilibrium has equal probability of being found in any of it's accessible states."

But here are my two questions (they sound kind of simple, but seem very tricky when I really try to think about them)
1. What exactly is equilibrium, in a rigorous sense? When the average energy [tex]\bar E[/tex] of the statistical system is time independent (constant)? When the "external parameters" such as volume are constant? I can't seem to come up with a totally inclusive definition of equilibrium.
2. What says that a system should relax to equilibrium to begin with? Is this a second postulate, or is there something simple I'm over looking? Reif never really touched on this point.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Equilibrium" usually means equilibrium of a macroscopic system. The system keeps changing on a microscopic scale, but the distribution of the micro states in the ensemble is independent of time.

As I understand it, equilibrium means that the intensive parameters (pressure, temperature, and chemical potential) are constant throughout the system. The entropy is maximal.

It is the Le Chatêlier principle that says that a system always goes back into a stable equilibrium. The stability conditions are

- thermal stability: the isochore heat capacity is greater than or equal to zero.
If heat is given into a system, then its temperature rises and it emits heat into its environment, so the temperature falls again.

- mechanical stability: the isothermal compressibility is greater than or equal to zero.
If the volume of a subarea is expanded, then the pressure in it decreases. Its environment has a higher pressure and compensates this.

heat naturally flows from a greater to a lesser temperature gradient until there is no more difference in temperature. for example, if i drop an ice cube in a cup of hot water (in a closed system), heat naturally flows from the hotter body of water to the cooler ice cube until both bodies of water reach the same temperature and form a homogeneous body of luke-warm water.

what says that heat should flow naturally from a greater to lesser temperature gradient?

paco1955 said:
what says that heat should flow naturally from a greater to lesser temperature gradient?

Fourier law:

[tex]
$\mathbf{q}$ \ = - \kappa \ \nabla T
[/tex]

Last edited:
There is actually one derivation of the partition function that relies on a certain definition of entropy in terms of the density operator, and furthermore that in equilibrium the density operator commutes with the Hamiltonian. This would correspond to every particle falling into an energy eigenstate at the microscopic level.

1. What is equilibrium in a statistical system?

Equilibrium in a statistical system refers to a state where the macroscopic properties of the system, such as temperature and pressure, remain constant over time. This means that there is no net flow of energy or matter within the system.

2. How does a statistical system reach equilibrium?

A statistical system reaches equilibrium through the process of relaxation, where the system evolves towards a state of minimum energy and maximum disorder. This can happen through various mechanisms, such as energy exchange between particles or diffusion of particles.

3. What is the role of entropy in understanding equilibrium?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In a statistical system, equilibrium is reached when the system has the maximum entropy, or maximum disorder. This is because at equilibrium, the system has reached a state of maximum randomness and there is no further tendency for change.

4. Can a statistical system ever be in perfect equilibrium?

No, a statistical system can never be in perfect equilibrium as there will always be fluctuations and small changes within the system. However, in practice, a system can be considered to be in equilibrium when these fluctuations are small enough to be negligible.

5. How does the approach to equilibrium differ in different statistical systems?

The approach to equilibrium can differ depending on the type of statistical system. For example, in a closed system, equilibrium is reached when the system reaches maximum entropy. In an open system, however, equilibrium may be reached through a constant exchange of energy and matter with the surroundings. Additionally, the time it takes for a system to reach equilibrium can also vary depending on factors such as size, complexity, and external conditions.