Understanding the Intriguing $\pi/2$ Integral Result

• MHB
  • Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the recent graduate problem of the week showed that both $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin x}{x}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$ and $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$, leading to the question of how they could both be equal. After using integration by parts and a change of variables, it was shown that the two integrals are indeed equal to each other and can be solved using techniques from complex analysis. The reason for this strange result is still unknown.
Dustinsfl
So on the recent graduate problem of the week, I saw that $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin x}{x}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$, but so does, $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$.
How can they both be the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
So on the recent graduate problem of the week, I saw that $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin x}{x}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$, but so does, $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$.
How can they both be the same?

Let us use integration by parts to compute $\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}\,dx$. At the end, we will need to use the fact that $\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin x}{x}\,dx=\frac{\pi}{2}$

Let $u=\sin^2x$ and $\,dv=\dfrac{\,dx}{x^2}$. Then $\,du=2\sin x\cos x\,dx=\sin(2x)\,dx$ and $v=-\dfrac{1}{x}$. Therefore,
\[\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}\,dx = \left[-\frac{\sin^2 x}{x}\right]_0^{\infty}+\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2x)}{x}\,dx=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2x)}{x}\,dx.\]
(We note that $|\sin x|\leq 1\implies |\sin^2 x|\leq 1$ and thus $\displaystyle\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{\sin^2 x}{x}\sim \lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{1}{x}=0$; We also note that $\displaystyle\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x}=\lim_{x\to 0}\frac{\sin x}{x}\cdot\lim_{x\to 0}\sin x=0$. Hence, that's why the $\displaystyle\left[-\frac{\sin^2 x}{x}\right]_0^{\infty}$ term goes to zero.)

Now let $t=2x\implies\,dt=2\,dx$. Therefore,
\[\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin(2x)}{x}\,dx\xrightarrow{t=2x}{} \int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin t}{t/2}\frac{\,dt}{2}=\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin t}{t}=\frac{\pi}{2}.\]
And thus, we also have that $\displaystyle\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2 x}{x^2}\,dx =\frac{\pi}{2}$.

I hope this makes sense!

$$F(a)=\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin^2(ax)}{x^2}$$

Differentiate w.r.t a :

$$F'(a)=\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(2ax)}{x}$$

Let 2ax=t

$$F'(a)=\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(t)}{t}=\frac{\pi}{2}$$

$$F(a)=\frac{\pi}{2}a+C$$

Putting a =0 we get C = 0 hence

$$\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin^2(ax)}{x^2}=\frac{\pi \cdot a}{2}$$

So for a =1 we get our result :

$$\int^{\infty}_0\frac{\sin^2(x)}{x^2}=\frac{\pi}{2}$$

If your question is why such thing happen , then I don't know , to me it is pretty strange !

If you see the graph of both functions , then you have no indications ...

I just thought it was strange. When I took Theory of Complex Variables, I had the $\int_0^{\infty}\frac{\sin^2x}{x^2}dx = \frac{\pi}{2}$ exercise so I was surprised to see that $\frac{\sin x}{x}$ lead to the same conclusion.

In complex analysis $$\int^{\infty}_0 \dfrac{1-\cos(x)}{x^2}$$ and $$\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(x)}{x}$$ are conventional exercises to solve by contour integration ...

Related to Understanding the Intriguing $\pi/2$ Integral Result

What is the $\pi/2$ integral result?

The $\pi/2$ integral result is a mathematical phenomenon that occurs when evaluating the integral of the function $\frac{1}{1+x^2}$ from 0 to infinity. The result is equal to $\frac{\pi}{2}$, which is a fascinating and unexpected outcome.

Why is the $\pi/2$ integral result intriguing?

The $\pi/2$ integral result is intriguing because it is a non-intuitive and elegant solution to a seemingly complex integral. It also has connections to various fields of mathematics, such as calculus, trigonometry, and complex analysis.

How is the $\pi/2$ integral result derived?

The $\pi/2$ integral result is derived using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and complex analysis. It involves manipulating the original integral into a form that can be easily solved, leading to the surprising result of $\frac{\pi}{2}$.

What are the practical applications of the $\pi/2$ integral result?

The $\pi/2$ integral result has various practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It can be used to solve problems related to oscillations, resonance, and electrical circuits, among others.

What is the historical significance of the $\pi/2$ integral result?

The $\pi/2$ integral result has a rich history dating back to the 17th century when mathematicians first discovered it. It has fascinated and challenged many brilliant minds throughout the years, contributing to the development of calculus and other branches of mathematics.