Understanding the Manipulation of Natural Logarithms

In summary, the conversation is about verifying the algebraic identity involving logarithms: Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[-L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] = 2{Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[Z]}. The laws of logarithms are used to simplify the equation and the trick of multiplying by conjugates is employed to get to the desired form.
Sturk200
How is it true that:

Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[-L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] = 2{Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[Z]}

?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this homework?

The equality is not very complicated to check. Use the properties of logarithms to get to the form log(x) = log(y), and then check if x = y.

DrClaude said:
Is this homework?

The equality is not very complicated to check. Use the properties of logarithms to get to the form log(x) = log(y), and then check if x = y.

Not homework, but part of a textbook problem that I'm using to study. I can get as far as the form log(x) = log(y) by turning the differences into quotients and the multiplicative prefactor on the right into an exponent. I guess I'm having trouble with the easiest part, seeing the algebraic identity.

Sturk200 said:
How is it true that:

Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[-L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] = 2{Log[L+(Z^2+L^2)^(1/2)] - Log[Z]}

?
Is your equation:

##log\; [L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}] -log\; [-L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}]=2log\; [L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}] - log (Z)## ?

The Laws of Logarithms are:

##log\; (a) - log\; (b) = log\;(\frac{a}{b}) ##

##log\; (a+b) - log\; (a-b) = log\;(\frac{a+b}{a-b}) ##

##log\;(a^b) = b\;log\;(a)##

##log\;[(a+b)^c]=c\;log\;(a+b)##

SteamKing said:
Is your equation:

##log\; [L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}] -log\; [-L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}]=2log\; [L + \sqrt{(Z^2 + L^2)}] - log (Z)## ?

The Laws of Logarithms are:

##log\; (a) - log\; (b) = log\;(\frac{a}{b}) ##

##log\; (a+b) - log\; (a-b) = log\;(\frac{a+b}{a-b}) ##

##log\;(a^b) = b\;log\;(a)##

##log\;[(a+b)^c]=c\;log\;(a+b)##

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand this much. So the problem becomes showing that

(L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2])/(-L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2]) = [(L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2])/Z]^2

Maybe this is me being dumb, but I don't know how to get from the left side to the right side.

Sturk200 said:
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I understand this much. So the problem becomes showing that

(L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2])/(-L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2]) = [(L + Sqrt[Z^2 + L^2])/Z]^2

Maybe this is me being dumb, but I don't know how to get from the left side to the right side.
If you start from the left side, simply multiply by ##(L+\sqrt{Z^2+L^2})/(L+\sqrt{Z^2+L^2})##. This is the same trick as when we multiply by conjugates of complex numbers to get rid of a term (a+ib) in the denominator.

nrqed said:
If you start from the left side, simply multiply by ##(L+\sqrt{Z^2+L^2})/(L+\sqrt{Z^2+L^2})##. This is the same trick as when we multiply by conjugates of complex numbers to get rid of a term (a+ib) in the denominator.

My lord, that is simple. Thank you.

1. What is natural log?

Natural log, written as ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. It is used to determine the amount of time needed for a quantity to reach a certain value based on its growth rate.

2. How do you manipulate natural log?

To manipulate natural log, you can use various mathematical properties such as the product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow you to simplify and solve complex equations involving natural log.

3. What is the purpose of manipulating natural log?

The main purpose of manipulating natural log is to solve equations that involve exponential growth or decay. It is also used in various fields such as finance, physics, and biology to model and analyze natural phenomena.

4. Can natural log be used for negative numbers?

No, natural log cannot be used for negative numbers. The natural log function is only defined for positive numbers, as the logarithm of a negative number is undefined.

5. How is natural log related to the natural exponential function?

Natural log and the natural exponential function, written as e^x, are inverse functions of each other. This means that if you take the natural log of a number and then raise it to the power of e, you will get the original number back. This relationship is fundamental in many mathematical and scientific applications.