Understanding the Perseid's Motion in Relation to the Sun

In summary, the Perseid (or any other) meteor shower is made up of dust and debris that is in orbit around the sun in a highly elliptical path. This path is the same one that the parent comet for the shower takes around the sun. Each time the comet completes a trip around its orbit, new material adds to the remaining material from previous orbits, creating the meteor shower. The debris is not simply sitting in space, but is constantly moving in its orbit around the sun. The parent comet's orbit and the addition of new material each time it completes a trip explains why the Perseid (or any other) meteor shower occurs annually on the same date.
Vrbic
Hello I have probably stupid question, but I can't explain it. First I thought, that they move like comet, but then I realized, that we are meeting every year in same date. On the other hand, they can't just sit in the space. The sun would attract them. So what exactly is happening? What is a motion of Perseids with respect to the sun?
Thank you for yours respond.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hi there

the dust and debris that is the Perseid ( or any other ) meteor shower is in orbit around the sun in a highly elliptical path
This is the path that the parent comet for that shower, that produced the debris, takes around the sun
and each time the comet does a trip around its orbit, the new material coming off the comet adds to the remaining material from previous orbits

http://starryskies.com/The_sky/events/meteors/comet.orbit.jpgcheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes ProfuselyQuarky, 1oldman2 and fresh_42
davenn said:
hi there

the dust and debris that is the Perseid ( or any other ) meteor shower is in orbit around the sun in a highly elliptical path
This is the path that the parent comet for that shower that produced the debris takes around the sun
and each time the comet does a trip around its orbit, the new material coming off the comet adds to the remaining material from previous orbits

cheers
Dave

Thank you very much for explaining ;)

Vrbic said:
Thank you very much for explaining ;)

hope that was enough ?
any other Q's just ask :smile:Dave

davenn said:
hope that was enough ?
any other Q's just ask :smile:Dave
I have many questions, but this was urgent :) I tried to find out it by myself, but I failed. The others I have to try also and study after this I will ask...don't worry...I will :) Thank you again ;)

Likes davenn

1. What causes the motion of Perseid in space?

The motion of Perseid in space is caused by its trajectory in orbit around the sun. As the comet gets closer to the sun, the heat causes it to release gas and dust, creating a tail that is pushed away from the sun by solar wind. This creates the characteristic motion of the comet as it travels through space.

2. How fast does Perseid move in space?

The speed of Perseid in space varies depending on its distance from the sun. On average, it travels at a speed of about 60 km/s. However, as it gets closer to the sun, the speed can increase up to 70 km/s due to the increased gravitational pull.

3. How far does Perseid travel in space?

Perseid travels in an elliptical orbit around the sun, with its closest point being about 29 million kilometers (18 million miles) and its farthest point being about 1.5 billion kilometers (930 million miles). This means that in one orbit, Perseid travels a distance of about 1.5 billion kilometers (930 million miles).

4. How long does it take for Perseid to complete one orbit in space?

Perseid takes about 133 years to complete one orbit around the sun. It was last seen in our inner solar system in 1992 and is expected to return in 2125.

5. Can we see the motion of Perseid from Earth?

Yes, we can see the motion of Perseid from Earth during its periodic showers. These occur when Earth passes through the debris left behind by the comet's orbit. The debris enters Earth's atmosphere and burns up, creating the stunning meteor showers we see in the night sky.