Understanding the physical meaning of phase shift in underdamped systems

In summary, the conversation discusses the step response of a second order underdamped system and how to calculate the phase shift angle θ. The formula for the step response is given and the question is posed about how to measure θ on a graph. The response explains that θ can be compared by looking at the intersection points of different curves. The phase shift angle has a specific meaning in the time domain when comparing functions with the same frequencies.
mamech
Hello all

I know that the step response of a second order underdamped system is :
y(t) = 1 – (e^(-ζωn*t) / sin(θ))*sin(ωd*t + θ)

Where sin(θ)= sqrt(1-ζ^2) , ωd = sqrt(ωn^2 – ωn^2 * ζ^2 )

my question is: I can see on the simulation ωd and I can calculate it ,
but I want also to see the phase shift angle θ

I know already that θ= asin(sqrt(1-ζ^2) ) , but this is analytical, can I see and measure it on the graph?

thanks

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 405
Engineering news on Phys.org
sin θ = ωdn, which is ratio of a damped frequency and undamped frequency.
You may compare graphs of underdamped and undamped functions:
y1(t)=1-e-ζt⋅sin(ωdt+θ)/sinθ
and
y2(t)=1-sin(ωnt+π/2)

Observe how difference between intersection points of the curves with line y(t)=1 changes throughout oscillations due to different frequencies.
Phase shift angle has a clear meaning in a time domain only if you compare functions having same frequencies.

Likes mamech
Thank you very much for help!

1. What is a phase shift in underdamped systems?

A phase shift in underdamped systems refers to the delay or advancement in the cyclical behavior of a system when compared to an ideal, undamped system. This can be seen in the displacement, velocity, or acceleration of a system over time.

2. How does a phase shift affect the behavior of underdamped systems?

A phase shift can significantly impact the behavior of underdamped systems. Depending on the magnitude of the phase shift, it can cause the system to oscillate faster or slower, change the amplitude of the oscillations, or even lead to unstable behavior.

3. What factors can cause a phase shift in underdamped systems?

A phase shift can be caused by several factors, including the damping coefficient, the natural frequency of the system, and any external forces acting on the system. Additionally, the initial conditions of the system can also contribute to the phase shift.

4. How is a phase shift measured in underdamped systems?

A phase shift is typically measured in degrees or radians, with 360 degrees or 2π radians representing one full cycle. It can be calculated by measuring the time difference between corresponding points on the waveforms of two systems, one being the underdamped system and the other being an ideal, undamped system.

5. Can a phase shift be controlled or eliminated in underdamped systems?

In most cases, a phase shift cannot be completely eliminated in underdamped systems. However, it can be minimized by adjusting the system's parameters, such as the damping coefficient and natural frequency. Additionally, external forces can be applied to counteract the effects of the phase shift.