Is air drag proportional to speed or speed squared?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ExitSeven
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Drag
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ExitSeven
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Is air drag proportional to the speed or the speed squared? What data did you gather to support your answer?

Can someone please provide me an explanation? Thx.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
type "air drag" into google

or to narrow your focus try

"air drag +wikipedia"

without the quotes
 
There's a basic governing equation for drag involving velocity, surface area and a couple of other variables. I've posted it here before, but since we're not supposed to just give out answers I'm not sure if I'm allowed to or not. To give you a hint - pressure is what gives an aircraft its lift as well as what causes its drag. Drag, being a force, is pressure multiplied by the area it acts upon. So if you know how velocity relates to pressure, you can get an understanding of how it relates to the drag force.