Understanding the Role of Abelian Cartan Subalgebras in Simple Lie Algebras

• MHB
  • Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a simple Lie Algebra, specifically A1, and its decomposition into an Abelian Cartan subalgebra, denoted by H, and the rest of the generators, denoted by g. The question posed is whether the individual generators E^{\pm} can also be considered as Abelian Cartan subalgebras, which would make A1 isomorphic to the direct sum of H, E^+, and E^-. However, the speaker argues that this is not correct and that A1 is not semi-simple, contradicting the text's treatment of A1 as if it were semi-simple. The speaker then questions whether they are misunderstanding something or if the text is incorrect in its approach.
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
Say we have a simple Lie Algebra, and let's use A1: \(\displaystyle [H, E^{\pm} ] = \pm 2 E^{\pm}\) and \(\displaystyle [E^+, E^- ]\) as an example. My text seems to be telling me that we can write this in a decomposition: \(\displaystyle \{ H \} \oplus g\) as H is an (Abelian) Cartan subalgebra of A1.

My question is this: \(\displaystyle E^{\pm}\) can individually be taken as Abelian Cartan subalgebras as well. That would make A1 isomorphic to \(\displaystyle \{ H \} \oplus \{ E^+ \} \oplus \{ E^- \}\), which clearly isn't correct. How do we know to single out H for special treatment?

-Dan

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay. I finally finished my little project and I just can't see where the text is getting this. A1 (or \(\displaystyle SL(2, \mathbb{C} )\), whichever you please, is clearly a simple Lie Algebra, not a semi-simple one. The text is working with a Cartan Weyl basis, Cartan matrix, root system, etc, all properties of a semi-simple Algebra as if A1 were semi-simple. After a long slog of picky details I finished working out a general basis for A1 and have finally proved that A1 is not isomorphic to the direct sum of a Cartan subalgebra and its other generators, and thus is not semi-simple.

So am I not understanding something (and going half-mad) or is the text wrong to do this?

-Dan

1. What is an Abelian Cartan subalgebra?

An Abelian Cartan subalgebra is a subalgebra of a larger Lie algebra that is both Abelian (meaning its elements commute with each other) and maximal (meaning it cannot be extended by adding more elements while still satisfying the Abelian property).

2. What is the significance of an Abelian Cartan subalgebra in Lie algebras?

An Abelian Cartan subalgebra is important in Lie algebras because it contains the maximal set of commuting elements, known as the Cartan subalgebra. This subalgebra helps to define the structure and properties of the entire Lie algebra.

3. How does one find an Abelian Cartan subalgebra?

Finding an Abelian Cartan subalgebra involves determining the set of commuting elements in a given Lie algebra. This can be done by using the root system and root spaces associated with the Lie algebra, or by using the Killing form to identify maximal commuting subspaces.

4. Are all Cartan subalgebras Abelian?

No, not all Cartan subalgebras are Abelian. While an Abelian Cartan subalgebra is maximal and contains the maximal set of commuting elements, a non-Abelian Cartan subalgebra may still be maximal but not contain the maximal set of commuting elements.

5. How does the concept of an Abelian Cartan subalgebra extend to other mathematical structures?

The concept of an Abelian Cartan subalgebra is specific to Lie algebras, but similar ideas can be found in other mathematical structures such as group algebras and associative algebras. In these cases, the subalgebra may not necessarily be Abelian, but it will still play an important role in defining the structure of the larger algebra.