Understanding Voltage Discrepancies in Transmission Lines: A Brief Overview

In summary, according to the book "Engineering Electromagnetics" by Ida, a lossless transmission line with a matched load should have equal voltages at the start of the line and at the load end, with no reflections. However, fig 16.2 on page 1000 of the book shows the voltage at the load to be half of the line voltage, which appears to be a mistake in the diagram. This clarification was provided by vk6kro and helped to resolve confusion about transients.
likephysics
I was reading about transmission lines. I thought if the line and load are matched, then the voltage on the line will be equal to the voltage on the load. But fig 16.2 (page 1000) in the book here, the voltage at load is half the line voltage. I don't get it!
Book link-
(click the contents link and then click 'Transients on transmission lines')
http://books.google.com/books?id=2C...resnum=2&ved=0CBAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears to be a mistake in the diagram.

The line is lossless so the voltage at the start of the line should be same as at the load end. Since the load is matched to the line, there will be no reflections, so the voltage across the load will be the same as at the start of the line.

Thanks vk6kro. I was struggling with transients, I google and I get this diagram which confused me even more!

1. What is a transmission line?

A transmission line is a specialized cable or medium used to transfer electrical energy from one point to another. It is commonly used to transport electricity from power plants to homes and businesses.

2. What are the types of transmission lines?

There are several types of transmission lines, including overhead lines, underground lines, and submarine cables. Overhead lines are typically used for long-distance transmission, while underground lines are used in urban areas. Submarine cables are used to transport electricity across bodies of water.

3. How does a transmission line work?

A transmission line works by using conductors to carry electrical energy. The conductors are typically made of copper or aluminum and are surrounded by insulating material. The electrical energy travels through the conductors at high speeds, with minimal loss, to reach its destination.

4. What are the factors that affect transmission line performance?

The performance of a transmission line can be affected by several factors, including the length of the line, the type of conductor used, the weather conditions, and the amount of power being transmitted. Other factors include the temperature, humidity, and altitude of the surrounding environment.

5. How is the efficiency of a transmission line measured?

The efficiency of a transmission line is typically measured by its voltage regulation and its power loss. Voltage regulation refers to how well the line maintains a consistent voltage along its length, while power loss refers to the amount of energy lost during transmission. Both of these factors can impact the overall efficiency and effectiveness of a transmission line.