Understanding Waves: The Importance of Fourier Analysis in Undergraduate Physics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
kent davidge
Messages
931
Reaction score
56
if I am to learn about waves at an undergraduated level, how much is it important to learn Fourier theory before I actually go into the physics?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: scottdave
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it depends on what will you study, but you will need it someday so I would recommend you to learn it as soon as possible.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kent davidge
kent davidge said:
if I am to learn about waves at an undergraduated level, how much is it important to learn Fourier theory before I actually go into the physics?
If it's introductory physics then it's not that important, unless you are attracted to the topic, then it can give you some insight as to what's going on when you study harmonics. On the other hand, if you are studying waves at the junior or senior level, you will find an understanding of Fourier analysis very helpful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: kent davidge