Understanding what goes on along the triple line (for water)

In summary, the conversation discusses the different phases present along the triple line, specifically at points A, B, and C. It also mentions the concept of "quality" and how it may not be applicable along the triple line due to the presence of all three phases at once and the role of latent heat in the phase change. The paper provided by Chet is recommended for further understanding of the triple state.
Urmi Roy
So I have a lot of trouble understanding what goes on along the triple line.

1. So within the dome, along the triple line, is the 'quality' defined anymore? If it is, what fraction of the pure substance is solid and what fraction is liquid?

2.At the point on the extreme right end of the triple line, meeting the dome,is there solid and liquid or is it only vapor? (point C on the picture I've attached).
Similarly what phases exist at point A and B?

Attachments

• pure substance model.png
    pure substance model.png
    16 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Urmi Roy said:
So I have a lot of trouble understanding what goes on along the triple line.

1. So within the dome, along the triple line, is the 'quality' defined anymore? If it is, what fraction of the pure substance is solid and what fraction is liquid?

2.At the point on the extreme right end of the triple line, meeting the dome,is there solid and liquid or is it only vapor? (point C on the picture I've attached).
Similarly what phases exist at point A and B?

At point C, there is pure vapor.
At point A, there is pure solid.
At point B, at a slightly higher pressure, there is pure liquid; at a slightly lower pressure there is mixture of solid and vapor.

Chestermiller said:
At point B, at a slightly higher pressure, there is pure liquid; at a slightly lower pressure there is mixture of solid and vapor.

I get what you said about A and C, but not B. So at B, specifically, what do we get? Further, if we increase the pressure, we might move along the saturated liquid curve OR along the solid-liquid equilibrium line.

More importantly, please look at my first question about the 'quality' on the triple line.

Urmi Roy said:
I get what you said about A and C, but not B. So at B, specifically, what do we get? Further, if we increase the pressure, we might move along the saturated liquid curve OR along the solid-liquid equilibrium line.

More importantly, please look at my first question about the 'quality' on the triple line.
It's not possible to be "exactly" at point B. If you are even the slightest amount above the pressure at point B, you have pure liquid. For example, if you say you are on the saturated liquid curve, you are at the 100 % liquid boundary. If you say you are at the right boundary of the solid-liquid equilibrium region (what you call the solid-liquid equilibrium line), you have 100 % liquid (0% solid). Slightly below point B, you have a combination of solid and vapor. You can calculate the fraction of solid and the fraction vapor at this point using the lever rule. From the figure, it looks like about 90% solid and 10% vapor.

Chet

But say we're at any point between B and C, how do we know how much solid and liquid we have? We're on the triple line, so we'd get some liquid, some vapor and some solid, all together right?

Okay I'm getting the impression that at any point along the triple line, even though we 'can' in principle have any of the 3 phases, it does not mean we actually have all three states co-existing. The secret is in the 'latent heat'. So depending upon the amount of latent heat added/taken away, we can stay at the same temperature and pressure but still have a change in phase. This also applies to point B.

By extension of what I said, does it mean that it is not possible to explicitly define the mass ratio of any of the phases along the triple line? Meaning that the concept of 'quality' isn't valid along the triple line?

Yes and yes for your last two posts. The solution for any point in the triple line except at the extremes (A an C) is not unique so there is more than one way to combine the solid liquid a gas states for any point in the line.

Between A and B there must be some solid component, Between B and C there must be some gas. At B no phase is required to be present

Thanks a lot, dauto! But what do you mean that at B there is no phase required to be present? B lies on the saturated liquid line, so isn't it a must for liquid to be present?

When we move from C to B, we are basically taking out some of the latent heat. So at any point between B and C, how do we increase the amount of liquid/solid present? (the phase other than vapor can be either liquid/solid but is there any way of knowing how much solid/liquid there is?)

If you are even slightly below the line and you are between A and B, you have solid and vapor in well-defined proportions. If you are even slightly above the line and you are between A and B, you have solid and liquid in well-defined proportions. If you are even slightly below the line, and you are between B and C, you have solid and vapor in well-defined proportions. If you are even slightly above the line and you are between B and C, you have liquid and vapor in well-defined proportions. All this quantification can be accomplished by appropriate use of tie lines and the lever rule.

Chet

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is the triple line in relation to water?

The triple line is the point at which the solid, liquid, and gas phases of water coexist. It is the boundary where the three phases meet and can be observed under specific temperature and pressure conditions.

Why is understanding the triple line important?

Understanding the triple line is important because it helps us understand the behavior and properties of water at different temperatures and pressures. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as materials science, geology, and environmental science.

How does the triple line affect water's physical properties?

The triple line greatly affects water's physical properties, such as its melting and boiling points, density, and surface tension. It is at this point that water exhibits unique behaviors and characteristics that are not present in the individual phases.

What happens at the triple line when temperature or pressure changes?

When temperature or pressure changes, the position of the triple line will also change. This can result in the melting or freezing of water, as well as the evaporation or condensation of water. The behavior of water at the triple line is highly dependent on these external factors.

How is the triple line used in practical applications?

The triple line is used in practical applications such as determining the freezing point of water in refrigeration systems, understanding the formation of ice crystals in frozen foods, and studying the behavior of water in extreme environments such as deep sea or outer space. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials and technologies.