Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unhealthy eating

1. Jan 24, 2009 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm watching a show on people that have decided to make serious changes to their diet, thinking it's healthy. Instead it's so extreme, it's likely to be unhealthy. One guy is 6 feet tall and weighs 118 pounds. He looks terrible. He's on a "calorie restricted" diet for longevity.

Another guy is a "raw vegan". He thinks he's super healthy, yet they show him running, then crumpling to the ground in agonizing pain, and then passing out. What's wrong? Could it be his insanely restricted diet?

How do people get sucked into these crazy diets? It's not that hard to find out what the body needs.

I always love the people that restrict their diets to the point they can't live on food alone, and have to eat a bunch of processed "supplements", while spouting off about eating a 100% natural, unprocessed diet, then downing handfuls of pills or processed powders to keep them alive.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2009 #2

wolram

Gold Member

So true, my mom was bought up on beef dripping sarnies, and she is now 84 and still going strong Jack Sprat was a dick head.

4. Jan 24, 2009 #3

Evo

My grandmother lived to be 94 years old, most women in my family live to be 100 or older. They ate normal food.

5. Jan 24, 2009 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Rock on Evo, i hope you will (bar accident) match or exceed your ancestors.

6. Jan 24, 2009 #5
    Well In Germany they say Man ist, was man isst. One is, what one eats. And perhaps a bit of balance might be a good idea.

7. Jan 24, 2009 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Widely-known American equivalent: "You are what you eat."

So, don't eat garbage.

I had a sister-in-law who was always following these crackpot diets. She was a "raw foodist" many, many years ago. There were deeper problems with her...just my opinion, but following these crazy diets indicates some sort of mental instability.

8. Jan 24, 2009 #7

Evo

These people are definitely obsessed. And they go around giving lectures as if they have scientifically valid information and they don't, what they are pushing is potentially dangerous. And these suckers in the audience are just eating it up. There should be a law against this. Or maybe they are all potential candidates for Darwin Awards.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
  9. Jan 24, 2009 #8

OmCheeto

Gold Member

I was discussing this with some friends from Russia yesterday. They said a staple in the winter was pork fat and bread. mmmmm...... Anyone who ever watched Emeril knows the importance of pork fat in your diet. Unfortunately, sitting in downtown New Orleans probably burns off a little bit less fat than working outside of Moscow in the winter.

Garbage is a matter of situation I think. We've had one of the coldest winters I can remember over the last two months. I think I've eaten about 6 pints of sour cream in that time. Normally I'll eat that much in about 3 years.

Another friend of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer a couple of years ago. I dragged him to a couple of lectures at work regarding the disease. He even switched doctors upon my suggestion. Another mutual acquaintance of ours told him that it was a result of his diet. I freaked out when I saw what he ended up eating: rice cakes, air pies, and celery.
    "Um.... Bill? If the cancer doesn't kill you, this diet surely will", I told him.
    "Oh, but statistics say that consuming dairy products increases your likelihood of prostate cancer."
    "Um..... Bill? You already have the cancer."
    "Hmmm... Ok. Then what should I eat?"
    "Eat what you crave. Listen, and I mean LISTEN!, to your body."

He now eats plenty of dairy products, along with everything else the book told him not to eat, which was just about everything.

He seems to be doing just fine. :smile:

ps. Lisa! I just ran across one of your posts and almost wet myself. :rofl: I could have used that link about 1023 times over the last couple of years. I need a time machine. :rofl: Or more realistically, could we turn that flash into a greeting card that we could send to people who write fad diet books?

10. Jan 24, 2009 #9

turbo

Gold Member

How many forests have been devastated so that idiots could spread their wrong-headed "rules" about what we should and should not eat???? Let's see... based on what I know from older people around me it's OK to cook with lard, bacon is not a killer, eggs are a healthy source of protein, it's OK to have butter on your toast and cream on your cereal... did I miss out on any other fatal food choices?

My grandfather had cream on his cereal every morning, butter on his toast (my grandmother made butter at least twice a week), and had a big bowl of ice cream almost every night before bed-time. He was over 6' 5", and was rangy at about 200#, and had hands the size of dinner-plates. He was a heavy-equipment mechanic with a private wrecker/hauling business and I never knew him to miss a single day of work, apart from a special day when my grandmother insisted.

11. Jan 24, 2009 #10
    I live on fast food. 5'8", 138lbs. I just can't gain weight.

12. Jan 24, 2009 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Om, I forgot all about that post! Best site on the innerwebs!

*ducks dangerous item thrown by Evo*

13. Jan 24, 2009 #12

OmCheeto

Gold Member

How old are you? Where do you live? Where did the your ancestors live for the last 5000 years? What do you do for a living? How many miles a day do you walk? Do you fidget?

People often hear from their elders, "Stop fidgeting!"

Yet studies have shown that fidgeting is a calorie burner and is actually good for your body.

Then again, you may have a tape worm. :frown:

or, for us fatty's: :smile:

14. Jan 24, 2009 #13

Evo

INTERWEBS!!! Hmmmmmpf! <removes one GOOBF card from Lisab>

15. Jan 24, 2009 #14
    As a matter of fact, they are.

16. Jan 24, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One thing that I find strange is the raw milk craze.

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_milk.html

But getting back to Evo's point about supplements; I've known two women who were devoted to a regimen of supplements for decades. They both ended up having all sorts of strange health problems that no one could diagnose. One died a short time ago - apparently due to mad cow disease [she didn't eat meat], and the other one has been sick for about ten years. I don't know if their diets or supplements were in any way related to their health problems, but they certainly weren't healthy.

17. Jan 24, 2009 #16

OmCheeto

Gold Member

Actually, after listening to it for about 30 seconds, I determined that that video is what was played prior to my return from hell for about 6 years before my 87th reincarnation.

ps. can anyone tell I've been playing J.M.'s Dog Eat Dog for the last week?
    I always thought it was such a period piece.
    But it has survived the test of time, and now seems like the bible, telling the story of humanity, in just 40 minutes.

Only with a better beat of course. :rolleyes:

18. Jan 24, 2009 #17
    There is nothing wrong with being a Vegan. I was one for like 8-10 years of my life, and I'm thinking about going back to it, but not being a total Vegan. As a younger person, I was lactose intolerent, too. So, it was a hard and strict diet to life by. I did gain a few pounds when we were vegetarians, though. Not that I'm fat, or ever was, I just need to lose a few now, I think. (5' 6" and about 120 lbs.) Perhaps just tone up...

19. Jan 24, 2009 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have dual citizenship as a Steakan and a Nachovian.

20. Jan 24, 2009 #19
    Ewww, steak is yuuuuuuuuuuucky!

21. Jan 24, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, you've never had one of mine! :cool:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?