Understanding Unicode Placeholders in Your Windows Installation

• Thread starter SredniVashtar
  • Start date
In summary, this user moved their entire profile to a different browser, Pale Moon, and has had no problems thus far.
SredniVashtar
well, apologies if my post is not properly formatted but as you can see from the screenshot it is not easy to know what placeholder does what.

http://i57.tinypic.com/521kw3.png

Actually, the mouseovers work so I should not be so disappointed...

This is the home page.

http://i58.tinypic.com/21vaq0.png

Now, I guess this is partly - or mostly - my fault, since when I installed windows I used nlite (or whatever it was called) to trim it a bit. I guess I left out some chinese charsets and possibly some symbols.

Well, just to let you know how the site look from my perspective.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, it was NoScript blocking images as suggested in the thread "Some icons not displaying".
I leave the post for a while for those of you who wanted a screenshot, then I'll remove it since it is a duplicate of that thread. Or, if a mod wishes to move my post into that thread, be my guest.

My questions still stands: which site should I whitelist in order to see the icons?
Please don't tell me it's Facebook, I liked it here.

Last edited:
If you're using FireFox with NoScript this will enable downloadable fonts for all sites:

Right click on the page.
Hover over "NoScript".
Click on "Options".
Select "Embeddings" tab.
Uncheck "Forbid @font-face"OrIf you want to white list the sites, you can see what sites are being blocked by hovering over "Blocked Objects" after clicking "NoScript" in the procedure above. You can also give them temporary permission.

However, keep in mind there was once a security vulnerability with these types of sites. But I don't know what the current status is. I think FireFox's fix was simply to block them by default.

Likes SredniVashtar
TurtleMeister said:
If you're using FireFox with NoScript this will enable downloadable fonts for all sites:

Right click on the page.
Hover over "NoScript".
Click on "Options".
Select "Embeddings" tab.
Uncheck "Forbid @font-face"OrIf you want to white list the sites, you can see what sites are being blocked by hovering over "Blocked Objects" after clicking "NoScript" in the procedure above. You can also give them temporary permission.

However, keep in mind there was once a security vulnerability with these types of sites. But I don't know what the current status is. I think FireFox's fix was simply to block them by default.

Thank you TurtleMeister, I decided to whitelist the single site, while forbidding font-face at a global level.
The site is now displaying as it should.

I believe I will leave this thread and the corresponding solution for other members or users who have a Mozilla-like browser with NoScript.

BTW, I use Pale Moon. With Australis Firefox has gone down Idiocracy Lane.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I didn't even know about Pale Moon. I'll have to check that out. I'm no fan of what FireFox has done to it's interface either. My main reason for using it is NoScript.

Well, Pale Moon is Firefox before the hipsters took power and turned it into a tablet version where appearance is more important than functionality or rationality.
You can transfer your entire profile to Pale Moon by simply copying the Firefox profile to the new Palemoon profile folder (there is a tool to do that but it appears to work only for 'standard' installation in the default folder - I had a custom install but solved in two minutes of playing with the ini file): it will keep all your data, passwords, cookies and whatnots. It feels also more reactive and so far (fingers crossed) I have not found any shortcoming. NoScript and Adblock keep updating without a problem.

End of OT, but man, I really have to spread the word: I was sick of FF starting with version 27...

Last edited:

1. What is Unicode and why is it important?

Unicode is a standard system for encoding characters and symbols used in writing systems around the world. It allows computers to represent and display text in different languages and scripts, making it essential for global communication and compatibility.

2. How do Unicode placeholders work in a Windows installation?

Unicode placeholders are a way of representing characters that are not part of the current font or character set. In a Windows installation, these placeholders are used when a font or character set does not support a particular character, and it needs to be displayed on the screen or in a document.

3. How do I know if my Windows installation has Unicode support?

You can check if your Windows installation has Unicode support by looking at the language settings in your control panel. If you see options for different languages and scripts, it means your system has Unicode support. Additionally, most modern Windows installations come with Unicode support by default.

4. Can I add Unicode support to my Windows installation if it doesn't have it?

Yes, you can add Unicode support to your Windows installation by installing a language pack or font package that includes the characters you need. You can also change your system's default font to one that supports a broader range of characters.

5. Are Unicode placeholders the same as ASCII placeholders?

No, Unicode placeholders are not the same as ASCII placeholders. ASCII placeholders only support characters in the English alphabet, while Unicode placeholders can represent characters from various languages and scripts. Additionally, ASCII placeholders use a single byte, while Unicode placeholders use two or more bytes to represent a character.