1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform charged sphere with hole?

1. Oct 1, 2004 #1
    Lets say I have a sphere of uniform charge, and a hole was removed any where within the sphere, would Gauss law be usless and I would have to go with superpostion? And I'm wondering how to set the integral in either case.
    Thanks
    Philip

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2004 #2
    many times the divergence teorem is hard to apply, then you can try to solve that thinking about the hole has a charge opposite to the complete sphere in order to maintain the electrostatic condition.

4. Oct 1, 2004 #3

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you're trying to calculate the electric field in the case of the sphere "with a hole" in it then I recommend (a) calculate the field for the original charge distribution, (b) calculate the electric field produced by an oppositely charged sphere where the hole is and then (c) adding the results of (a) and (b).

5. Oct 1, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, sorry, I see Diego essentially made the same suggestion!

6. Oct 3, 2004 #5
    Thanks, lets see if I'm thinking right here? First I find the efield at the point as though there was no hole. 2) I find the efield of the point do to the smaller sphere using a -charge density. 3) I sum the two efields together to get final results?
    Again thanks for your help
    Philip

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?