Solving Uniform Circular Motion: 0.150-kg Ball on a 1.10-m Cord

In summary, the radius of a swinging ball in a vertical circle is the distance from the center of the circle to the ball, which is always on the circumference of the circular path. This applies to both horizontal and vertical circular motion.
Norngpinky

Homework Statement

A 0.150-kg ball on the end of a 1.10-m-long cord (negligible mass) is swung in a vertical circle.

Homework Equations

Total net force = mass*centripetal acceleration = mass*(velocity squared)/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I have is that... I'm looking at the book Physics Volume I, 6th Edition...And for the radius, shouldn't it be 1.10m/2 to get the radius? On the book, they just have 1.10m for r...So I'm confused here since I thought 1.10 is the diameter of the cord, not the radius. Could someone clarify that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Norngpinky said:

Homework Statement

A 0.150-kg ball on the end of a 1.10-m-long cord (negligible mass) is swung in a vertical circle.

Homework Equations

Total net force = mass*centripetal acceleration = mass*(velocity squared)/radius

The Attempt at a Solution

The question I have is that... I'm looking at the book Physics Volume I, 6th Edition...And for the radius, shouldn't it be 1.10m/2 to get the radius? On the book, they just have 1.10m for r...So I'm confused here since I thought 1.10 is the diameter of the cord, not the radius. Could someone clarify that?
The radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to any point on the circumference. Now, when the ball is being swung in a vertical circle it is *always* on the circumference of the circular path, agreed? So, what is the distance between the ball and the centre of the circle?

Hootenanny said:
The radius is the distance from the centre of a circle to any point on the circumference. Now, when the ball is being swung in a vertical circle it is *always* on the circumference of the circular path, agreed? So, what is the distance between the ball and the centre of the circle?

Shouldn't it still be half the length of cord still since the center of the circle would be at the middle, so r should be half of the length...no?

Norngpinky said:
Shouldn't it still be half the length of cord still since the center of the circle would be at the middle, so r should be half of the length...no?
If you were swinging a ball around on a piece of string, at which point would you hold the string?

Hootenanny said:
If you were swinging a ball around on a piece of string, at which point would you hold the string?

AHA, that makes a lot more sense. So r would be the same even if the ball was in a horizontal circular motion, right?

Norngpinky said:
AHA, that makes a lot more sense. So r would be the same even if the ball was in a horizontal circular motion, right?
Correct. If the radius changed during the motion, then the ball would not be moving in a circle.

Hootenanny said:
Correct. If the radius changed during the motion, then the ball would not be moving in a circle.

Alright! You're awesome. Thank you for your help! =]

What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is constantly changing, but its speed remains the same.

What causes an object to experience Uniform Circular Motion?

An object experiences uniform circular motion when it is subjected to a centripetal force, which is a force that is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in that path.

How is Uniform Circular Motion different from regular circular motion?

In regular circular motion, the object's speed is not constant and changes as it moves along the circular path. In uniform circular motion, the object's speed remains the same throughout the entire path.

What is the formula for calculating the centripetal force in Uniform Circular Motion?

The formula for calculating the centripetal force is F = m * v^2 / r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What are some real-life examples of Uniform Circular Motion?

Some real-life examples of Uniform Circular Motion include a car moving on a circular track, a satellite orbiting around the Earth, and a ball attached to a string being swung in a circular motion.