Uniform continuity with bounded functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of uniformly continuous (UC) functions and their relationship with boundedness. The first question asks whether a function is UC for all of R if it is UC in every finite segment of R and bounded. The second question asks if a function is UC for R if it is both bounded and continuous. The conversation includes examples to show that both statements are false and offers advice on approaching problems involving bounded UC functions.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member

Homework Statement

True or false:
1)If f is bounded in R and is uniformly continues in every finate segment of R then it's uniformly continues for all R.
2)If f is continues and bounded in R then it's uniformly continues in R.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) If we know that up to any x the function us UC in [0,x] and which means that the set A = {x | [0,x] in UC} has no upper bound, then does that mean that f is UC for {0,infinity) ? Why do I need the fact that they're bounded?
2) I think that the answer is no: can't we find some function whose slope increases as x goes to infinity? for example sin(x^2)?

In both of the questions I felt that I didn't have an intuitive way to combine the UC and the boundedness. Can anyone give me some directions?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dunno if this helps, but for the second one, y=x^2 is an example whose slope increases as x approaches infinity.

Yes, but it's not bounded in R.

Doesn't your sin(x^2) example show both statements are false?

Hmm, It looks like it does, do I guess that what I said in (1) is wrong.
But can you give me some general advice on how to approach problems dealing with bounded UC functions?
Thanks.

daniel_i_l said:
Hmm, It looks like it does, do I guess that what I said in (1) is wrong.
But can you give me some general advice on how to approach problems dealing with bounded UC functions?
Thanks.

Nothing much more than you probably already know. If a function is differentiable UC means bounded derivative. So if I want a counterexample to 1) I look first at differentiable functions to see if I can find one that is bounded, but has unbounded derivative. sin(x^2) does nicely.

Thanks for your help.

1. What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a type of continuity that ensures that a function is continuous across the entire domain, rather than just at individual points. It means that for any given small change in the input, the function will only produce a small change in the output, regardless of where the input is in the domain.

2. What does it mean for a function to be bounded?

A function is said to be bounded if its values are all limited within a specific range. In other words, there are maximum and minimum values that the function can take on, and any output outside of that range is not possible.

3. How are bounded functions related to uniform continuity?

In order for a function to be uniformly continuous, it must also be bounded. This is because if a function is unbounded, it can produce arbitrarily large changes in the output for small changes in the input, which violates the definition of uniform continuity.

4. Can a function be uniformly continuous without being bounded?

No, a function cannot be uniformly continuous if it is unbounded. As mentioned before, uniform continuity requires that changes in the input result in only small changes in the output. If a function is unbounded, it does not have this property and therefore cannot be uniformly continuous.

5. How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

Regular continuity only requires that a function is continuous at each individual point in its domain, while uniform continuity ensures that the function is continuous across the entire domain. In other words, uniform continuity is a stronger condition that guarantees a function is continuous at all points in its domain.