1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform continuity with bounded functions

1. Jul 20, 2007 #1

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    True or false:
    1)If f is bounded in R and is uniformly continues in every finate segment of R then it's uniformly continues for all R.
    2)If f is continues and bounded in R then it's uniformly continues in R.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

1) If we know that up to any x the function us UC in [0,x] and which means that the set A = {x | [0,x] in UC} has no upper bound, then does that mean that f is UC for {0,infinity) ? Why do I need the fact that they're bounded?
    2) I think that the answer is no: can't we find some function whose slope increases as x goes to infinity? for example sin(x^2)?

In both of the questions I felt that I didn't have an intuitive way to combine the UC and the boundedness. Can anyone give me some directions?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2007 #2
    Dunno if this helps, but for the second one, y=x^2 is an example whose slope increases as x approaches infinity.

4. Jul 20, 2007 #3

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Yes, but it's not bounded in R.

5. Jul 20, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Doesn't your sin(x^2) example show both statements are false?

6. Jul 22, 2007 #5

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Hmm, It looks like it does, do I guess that what I said in (1) is wrong.
    But can you give me some general advice on how to approach problems dealing with bounded UC functions?
    Thanks.

7. Jul 23, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nothing much more than you probably already know. If a function is differentiable UC means bounded derivative. So if I want a counterexample to 1) I look first at differentiable functions to see if I can find one that is bounded, but has unbounded derivative. sin(x^2) does nicely.

8. Jul 23, 2007 #7

daniel_i_l

Gold Member

Thanks for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?