1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Uniform convergence and improper integration

1. Nov 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose g and f_n are defined on [1,+infinity), are Riamann-integrable on [t,T] whenever 1<=t<T<+infinity. |f_n|<=g, f_n->f uniformly on every compact subset of [1,+infinity), and
    [tex]\int^{\infty}_{1} g(x)dx<\infty[/tex].
    Prove that
    [tex]lim_{n->\infty} \int^{\infty}_{1} f_{n}(x)dx =\int^{\infty}_{1} f(x)dx[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I let [tex]h_{n}(u)=\int^{u}_{1} f_{n}(x)dx[/tex], then [tex]lim_{n->\infty} h_{n}(u)=\int^{u}_{1} f(x)dx=h(u)[/tex] for each u in [1,+infinity). it is equivalent to prove that [tex]lim_{n->\infty}lim_{u->\infty} h_{n}(u)=lim_{u->\infty}lim_{n->\infty} h_n(u)[/tex]. This is true if h_n converges uniformly to h on [1,+infinity). This is where I got stuck. Actually, I'm not sure if h_n indeed converges uniformly...Or, is there any other way to prove it? Any hint? Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2008 #2
    Well. I think you can prove uniform convergence of [itex]h_n[/itex] directly.
    You want to show that [itex]\forall \varepsilon >0: \exist N>0[/itex] such that whenever n>N [itex]|h_n(u)-h(u)|\leq\varepsilon\quad \forall u\in[1,\infty)[/itex], right?
    First pick [itex]u_0\in[1,\infty)[/itex] such that [itex]\int_{u_0}^\infty{dxg(x)}\leq \varepsilon/4[/itex]. Then pick an N with [itex]|f_n(x)-f(x)|\leq\frac{\varepsilon}{2(u_0-1)}[/itex] for all n>N and [itex]x\in[1,u_0][/itex] This N should do the job.

You can write for any u
    [tex]
    |h_n(u)-h(u)|=\left|\int_1^u{dx[f_n(x)-f(x)]}\right|\leq\left|\int_1^{u_0\wedge u}{dx[f_n(x)-f(x)]}\right|+\chi_{\{u_0<u\}}\left|\int_{u_0}^u{dx[f_n(x)-f(x)]}\right|
    [/tex]

For n>N the first term is clearly bounded by [itex]\varepsilon/2[/itex]. The second term is only there if [itex]u>u_0[/itex]. In this case you can use [itex]|f_n(x)|<=g(x)[/itex] for all x (which implies [itex]|f(x)|<=g(x)[/itex] so
    [tex]
    \left|\int_{u_0}^u{dx[f_n(x)-f(x)]}\right|\leq 2\int_{u_0}^u{dxg(x)}\leq 2\int_{u_0}^\infty{dxg(x)}\leq\varepsilon/2
    [/tex]
    where the last inequality holds by the choice of [itex]u_0[/itex].

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  4. Nov 17, 2008 #3
    This is brilliant, thanks!
    u_0 is exactly what I didn't get! Thanks again!:)

5. Nov 17, 2008 #4
    Don't be exaggerating:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?