Uniform convergence of Fourier Series satisfying Lipschitz condition

In summary, the problem asks to show that the series of the absolute values of the Fourier coefficients of a function f, which is integrable on the circle and satisfies the Lipschitz condition, converges absolutely and uniformly. The approach involves estimating the partial sums of the Fourier coefficients and using Cauchy Schwartz inequality. The solution will be posted in a few days.
rsa58

Homework Statement

f is integrable on the circle and satisfies the Lipschitz condition (Holder condition with a=1). Show that the series converges absolutely (and thus uniformly). i literally spent about 20 hours on this problem today but i just could not figure it out. i have a feeling it's not that hard, but i am having a hell of a time estimating the sum that i need to show the Fourier coefficients converge absolutely.

Homework Equations

|f(x) - f(y)| <= K |x-y| for all x, y.
I have done up to and including this part of the problem (the easiest part).
show:
[tex]\infty[/tex]
[tex]\sum[/tex] (|sin(nh)|^2) |a(n)|^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] (K^2)*(h^2)
-[tex]\infty[/tex]

now take h = pi/(2^p+1) and show: (i'm going to call this inequality ***)
[tex]\sum[/tex] |a(n)|^2 [tex]\leq[/tex] (K^2)(pi^2)/(2^2p+1)
(2^p-1) < |n| <= 2^(p)

where a(n) is the nth Fourier coefficient. No need to comment on the above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's the part i can't get: estimate the partial sums of the Fourier coefficients where the absolute value of the summation index n ranges over 2^(2p-1) to 2^p as above, in order to show that the Fourier series converges absolutely. Hint: Use the Cauchy Schwartz inequality.

I applied the Cauchy Schwartz inequality to the inner product of f and the complex exponential to get a bound for this quantitiy which is the L^2 norm of f. this is ofcourse the inner product of f with itself square root. but the inner product of the partial sums of the Fourier series must converge to the inner product of f with itself, and this inner product is akin to the left side of *** so that the Fourier coefficients must converge to zero. anyway, this is not the answer that i need because i need to estimate the partial sums of the Fourier coefficients in the given range. i tried lots of other stuff too, like moving various sums inside the inner product, but i feel there is something fundamental that i am missing. please give me hints or references but not solutions.

PS: i also tried summing *** over 1 to N so that the left side of *** becomes the partial sums of the inner product of the two sided sequence of Fourier coefficients in the little L over z (sorry don't really know how to say this) norm with itself [i mean the vector space of all two sided sequences whose infinite sum of absolute values of components converges]; the right side becomes a geometric series ofcourse. blah, sorry i am kind of lost in this course.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey everybody i solved it so don't worry, i will be posting the solution in a couple days here for those who are interested. i was allowing p to vary instead of keeping it fixed. The one thing i wasn't sure about was interchanging a finite sum with the infinite sum of an absolutely convergent series. however i think it's okay because with absolute convergence we can sum in which ever order we want... (i am talking about the inner product in the little L squared Z vector space.)

1. What is the Lipschitz condition in the context of Fourier series?

The Lipschitz condition is a mathematical condition that ensures the uniform convergence of a Fourier series. It states that the function whose Fourier series is being considered must have a finite Lipschitz constant, which measures the rate of change of the function. In simpler terms, this condition means that the function must not have extremely rapid changes or discontinuities.

2. How does the Lipschitz condition affect the convergence of Fourier series?

The Lipschitz condition guarantees the uniform convergence of a Fourier series. This means that the Fourier series will converge to the original function at the same rate at all points, not just at specific points. Without this condition, the Fourier series may only converge pointwise, meaning it may not accurately represent the original function at all points.

3. Are there any other conditions that must be satisfied for uniform convergence of Fourier series?

Yes, in addition to the Lipschitz condition, the function must also be periodic and piecewise continuous. These conditions are necessary for the Fourier series to exist and to ensure the convergence of the series.

4. What are the implications of uniform convergence of Fourier series satisfying the Lipschitz condition?

If a Fourier series satisfies the Lipschitz condition and converges uniformly, it means that the series is a good approximation of the original function. This can be useful in applications such as signal processing, where Fourier series are commonly used to represent periodic signals.

5. Can the Lipschitz condition be relaxed for Fourier series to still converge?

Yes, the Lipschitz condition can be relaxed to the weaker condition of bounded variation. This means that the function must have a finite total variation, which measures the overall amount of change in the function. While this condition may not guarantee uniform convergence, it still allows for the convergence of Fourier series.