Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Union of subspaces of a linear space

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    Is there a linear space V in which the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace except the trivial subspaces V and {0}? pls help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2
    A vector space V can only have non-trivial subspaces if [tex]\dim V\ge 2[/tex].
    This means you can choose two linearly independent vectors u, w, which generate 1-dimensional subspaces U, W respectively. Can [tex]U\cup W[/tex] be a subspace? Hint: try to find a linear combination of u,w that is not in [tex]U\cup W[/tex].

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    I have tried searching for such spaces but i could only find for spaces whose dimension is less than 2.

5. Mar 7, 2009 #4
    [tex]\dim\mathbb{R}^n=n[/tex], surely you knew that?

6. Mar 7, 2009 #5
    yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of \mathbb{R}^n such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

7. Mar 7, 2009 #6
    yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

8. Mar 7, 2009 #7
    yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

9. Mar 7, 2009 #8
    I think the short answer is No.

10. Mar 7, 2009 #9
    what about if you are not working n dimensional space, can you still find such a space

11. Mar 7, 2009 #10
    what about if you are not working with n-dimensional space, can you still find such a space?

12. Mar 7, 2009 #11
    If the dimension of the space is less than two then the only subspace are V and {0} as yyat pointed out. Hence your question is answered in this case.

If the dimension of the space is greater or equal to two then consider spaces X and Y generated by linearly independent vectors x and y. x+y does not belong to [tex] X \Cup Y [/tex]. Implying you can't pick any subspaces and the union will be a subspace.

13. Mar 7, 2009 #12
    thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook