Union of subspaces of a linear space

Is there a linear space V in which the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace except the trivial subspaces V and {0}? pls help

A vector space V can only have non-trivial subspaces if [tex]\dim V\ge 2[/tex].
This means you can choose two linearly independent vectors u, w, which generate 1-dimensional subspaces U, W respectively. Can [tex]U\cup W[/tex] be a subspace? Hint: try to find a linear combination of u,w that is not in [tex]U\cup W[/tex].

A vector space V can only have non-trivial subspaces if [tex]\dim V\ge 2[/tex].
This means you can choose two linearly independent vectors u, w, which generate 1-dimensional subspaces U, W respectively. Can [tex]U\cup W[/tex] be a subspace? Hint: try to find a linear combination of u,w that is not in [tex]U\cup W[/tex].
I have tried searching for such spaces but i could only find for spaces whose dimension is less than 2.

I have tried searching for such spaces but i could only find for spaces whose dimension is less than 2.
[tex]\dim\mathbb{R}^n=n[/tex], surely you knew that?

yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of \mathbb{R}^n such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

yyat; Do you mean i can obtain a linear subspace V of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], such that the union of any subspaces of V is a subspace of V?

I think the short answer is No.

what about if you are not working n dimensional space, can you still find such a space

If the dimension of the space is less than two then the only subspace are V and {0} as yyat pointed out. Hence your question is answered in this case.

If the dimension of the space is greater or equal to two then consider spaces X and Y generated by linearly independent vectors x and y. x+y does not belong to [tex] X \Cup Y [/tex]. Implying you can't pick any subspaces and the union will be a subspace.

If the dimension of the space is less than two then the only subspace are V and {0} as yyat pointed out. Hence your question is answered in this case.

If the dimension of the space is greater or equal to two then consider spaces X and Y generated by linearly independent vectors x and y. x+y does not belong to [tex] X \Cup Y [/tex]. Implying you can't pick any subspaces and the union will be a subspace.
thanks so much.

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving