1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unit Normal Vector N(t)

1. Dec 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question comes from my multivariable differential calculus course, and it pertains to arc length parametrizations the unit normal vector of a curve.

Why does the arc length parametrization of the unit normal vector of a curve, N(s) equal...

_r''(s)__ = N(s) and not just equivalent to r''(s) = N(s)?

2. Relevant equations
    T(s) = r'(s)
    ||r'(s)|| = 1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that since ||r'(s)|| = 1, ||r''(s)|| would be equivalent to 1 as well since they are both the normalizations of arc length parametrizations of curves. However, this apparently isn't the case...any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, take a 'fer instance'. r(s)=(1/2)*(cos(2s),sin(2s)). r'(s) is unit length, r''(s) isn't.
  4. Dec 7, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm just seconding Dick. If a curve is paraemtrised by arclength [itex]\vec{r}(s)[/itex], then it follows from the definition of "arclength", and the chain rule, that the length of [itex]\vec{r}'[/itex] is 1. There is no reason to expect that to be true for [itex]\vec{r}''[/itex] as well.

Of course, [itex]\vec{r}''[/itex] is normal to the curve. I just doesn't have length 1.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?