Unit problem with calculating the mass concentration of a particle

In summary, the mass concentration for the given particle size distribution is 7.068*10^{4} μg m^{-2}.
guitarstorm

Homework Statement

We have to calculate the mass concentration for a particle size distribution. I'm just doing the first size range here, since once I get that the rest is just repetition.

FYI, the particles are spherical.

Size range (diameter) = 0.005-0.5 μm
Average particle size (diameter) = 0.25 μm
Number concentration = 1 cm[itex]^{-3}[/itex]
Particle density = 1800 kg m[itex]^{-3}[/itex]

The answer is supposed to be in units μg m[itex]^{-3}[/itex] μm[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]m=\rho _{p}\frac{\pi }{6}D_{p}^{3}n_{n}(D_{p})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I did was convert the density from kg m[itex]^{-3}[/itex] to μg m[itex]^{-3}[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{1800 \: kg}{m^{3}} * \frac{1\: \mu g}{1*10^{9\: }kg}=\frac{1.8*10^{12}\: \mu g}{m^{3}}[/itex]

Then I plugged into the mass concentration formula:

[itex](1.8*10^{12}\mu g\: m^{-3})(\frac{\pi }{6})(0.25\: \mu m)^{3}(1\: cm^{-3})=1.473*10^{10}\mu g\: m^{-3\: }\mu m^{3}\: cm^{-3}[/itex]

So now, since there's no cm in the units we're supposed to have, I figured I'd get rid of that:

[itex](1.473*10^{10}\: \frac{\mu g\: \mu m^{3}}{m^{3}\: cm^{3}})*(\frac{100\: cm}{1\: m})^{3}=1.473*10^{16}\: \frac{\mu g\: \mu m^{3}}{m^{6}}[/itex]

So now we have this mess, and at this point I give up, because idk how the heck to get this in μg m[itex]^{-3}[/itex] μm[itex]^{-1}[/itex]... Not to mention the number I'm getting seems way too large...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. I can see that you have made some progress, but there are a few errors and misunderstandings that I would like to address.

Firstly, when converting the density from kg m^{-3} to μg m^{-3}, you should be dividing by 10^9, not multiplying. This is because 1 kg is equal to 10^9 μg.

So the correct conversion would be:

\frac{1800 \: kg}{m^{3}} * \frac{1\: \mu g}{10^{9\: }kg}=\frac{1.8\: \mu g}{m^{3}}

Next, when plugging in the values into the mass concentration formula, you have the particle density in the wrong place. The formula should be:

m = \rho _{p}\frac{\pi }{6}D_{p}^{3}n_{n}(D_{p})

So the correct calculation would be:

(1.8\: \mu g\: m^{-3})(\frac{\pi }{6})(0.25\: \mu m)^{3}(1\: cm^{-3})=1.767*10^{10}\mu g\: m^{-3}

Next, when converting to the desired units of μg m^{-3} μm^{-1}, you should be dividing by the particle size (0.25 μm), not multiplying. This is because you want the mass concentration per unit of particle size.

So the final calculation would be:

1.767*10^{10}\: \frac{\mu g}{m^{3}}\: \frac{1}{0.25\: \mu m}=7.068*10^{10}\: \frac{\mu g}{m^{3}\: \mu m}

This is very close to the desired units of μg m^{-3} μm^{-1}. To get the exact units, you can use the fact that 1 μm = 10^{-6} m. So you can rewrite the units as:

7.068*10^{10}\: \frac{\mu g}{m^{3}\: \mu m} = 7.068*10^{4}\: \frac{\mu g}{m^{3}\: m^{-1}} = 7.068*10^{4}\: \frac{\mu g}{m^{

What is a unit problem in calculating the mass concentration of a particle?

A unit problem occurs when the units of measurement used in a calculation are not consistent. This can lead to incorrect results and should be avoided.

Why is it important to use consistent units when calculating mass concentration?

Using consistent units ensures that the final result is accurate and meaningful. It also allows for easier comparison and interpretation of data.

How do I convert between different units of mass concentration?

To convert between units of mass concentration, you can use conversion factors or formulas specific to the units you are working with. It is important to double-check your conversions to ensure accuracy.

What are some common units of mass concentration used in scientific research?

Some common units of mass concentration include milligrams per liter (mg/L), parts per million (ppm), and grams per cubic meter (g/m3). The appropriate unit to use will depend on the type of particle being measured and the specific research goals.

How can I avoid unit problems when calculating mass concentration?

To avoid unit problems, it is important to double-check the units of measurement before beginning a calculation and to use conversion factors or formulas when converting between units. It may also be helpful to use a consistent unit system throughout the entire research study.