1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unitary Operator: Exponential Form

1. Aug 19, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm working on this problem:

Let [itex]\hat{U}[/itex] an unitary operator defined by:
    [itex]\hat{U}=\frac{I+i\hat{G}}{I-i\hat{G}}[/itex] with [itex]\hat{G}[/itex] hermitian. Show that [itex]\hat{U}[/itex] can be written as: [itex]\hat{U}=Exp[i\hat{K}][/itex] where [itex]\hat{K}[/itex] is hermitian.

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\hat{U}=\frac{I+i\hat{G}}{I-i\hat{G}}[/itex] , [itex]\hat{U}=Exp[i\hat{K}][/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    My attempt at a solution: I have to show who is [itex]\hat{K}=\hat{K}(\hat{G})[/itex] (as a function) so after several algebra manipulation,equating the two relevant equations I arrive to:

[itex]\hat{G}=tan(\frac{\hat{K}}{2})[/itex]

I would like to simply apply the inverse of tan, in that way:

[itex]\hat{K}=2 arctan(\hat{G})[/itex]. I do not know if it is arctan defined for an operator, if it is, I think that is via taylor Series.

Some help please

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

ShayanJ

Gold Member

Try taylor-expanding [itex] \hat U [/itex] w.r.t. [itex] \hat G [/itex]!

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3
    I've tried, but i think this is not the way because when you expand both sides there is no clear relation between G and K.

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't forget those important words: Hermition and unitary. You probably need to use those.

You can get there in a couple ways. Expansion by a Taylor series is one way. Be careful that you don't depend things commuting if they don't.

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5
    I agree. And I used those properties. Thanks

7. Sep 2, 2014 #6
    You may be over-thinking this problem.

Simply equate Exp[i K] = (I +iG)/(I-iG) and solve by taking the log of both sides. (Note issues of phase in your equality after taking the log etc.)

Now you have a form of K in terms of G, which you must show is Hermitian. This is where a series expansion comes into play. Expand your K as a series expansion, and show that by daggering (taking the Hermitian conjugate of) each term in the expansion you leave the expansion unchanged, thus showing that K is Hermitian, and showing the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted