Units of Inertia and Moment of Inertia

In summary: Pump performance is nearly independent of the direction of rotation, so the delivery rate will always be nearly the same.If a pump is able to function as a turbine, it can operate in a reverse direction and still produce fluid flow. This is because the direction of rotation affects the direction of flow, but not the amount of flow. However, this may result in lower efficiency compared to operating the pump in the correct direction.
Mikealvarado100
Hi
Unit of 'moment of inertia' is kg.m^2, Which I know. But about Inertia itself, is it a quantity phenomenon or quality phenomenon? What is it's unit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Inertia is the resistance of an object to be affected by a force. It can be caused by mass, but e.g. EM energy can have this effect too. See here!("Feynman lectures on physics" vol.2 has a chapter about this too.)
Moment of inertia is the resistance of an object to a torque. Its called moment of inertia because of the way it is calculated. See here and here!

Inertia is a property defined both as a general quality (what it is), and also in the particular sense (how much you have of it), in which case -- i.e. when you want to put a number to it -- kilogram (kg) is the SI unit.

Let me explain what I understood from your explanation and references mentioned. Please correct if you find mistake:
1- Inertia is a quantitative and it's unit is 'Kg'. Am I right? Do Inertia and Mass have same unit? Does it mean that both are the same?
2- Moment is a CONCEPT. And it refers to DISTANCE of a subject (like force) and the point which that subject (e.g. force) is applied to that subject. Yes?
3- Torque is 'moment of Force' which is shortened to 'moment'.

Mikealvarado100 said:
Unit of 'moment of inertia' is kg.m^2, Which I know. But about Inertia itself, is it a quantity phenomenon or quality phenomenon? What is it's unit?
'Moment of inertia' is for rotational motion what 'mass' is for linear motion.

Mikealvarado100 said:
Inertia is a quantitative and its unit is 'Kg'. Am I right?

Correct. The SI unit of measure for inertia is kilogram (symbol kg -- both k and g are lower case). Kilogram is one of the base units in the SI.

Mikealvarado100 said:
Moment is a CONCEPT. And it refers to DISTANCE of a subject (like force) and the point which that subject (e.g. force) is applied to that subject. Yes?

Moment is both an abstract concept and a physical reality. I would substitute the term physical quantity for subject -- and, incidentally, this physical quantity may be a scalar or a vector (force, mass, area, electric charge, etc).

Yes, moment does refer to the distance from the quantity to the reference point (or the perpendicular distance to the reference axis). I call this distance the moment arm. You have to multiply the quantity in question by the moment arm in order to get the moment. (It's a cross product but ordinary algebraic multiplication works in simple cases.) Moments are classified according to the power to which the moment arm is raised (usually the first or second power).

Mikealvarado100 said:
Torque is 'moment of Force' which is shortened to 'moment'.

Right. Torque is the first moment of force, and it's a vector.

Last edited:
In that thread you appear to be considering a machine that can function as a pump (power is absorbed) or a turbine (power is produced), correct?

Mikealvarado100 said:
1- Inertia is a quantitative and it's unit is 'kg'. Am I right? Do Inertia and Mass have same unit? Does it mean that both are the same?

They're closely related but technically not the same thing. Mass in all cases is the quantity of matter. But mass can mean the hypothetical ability to be pulled by gravity, or it can refer to resistance to acceleration (inertia).

There is a similarity between the equations of linear and rotational motion...eg...

Force = mass * acceleration
Torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration

The linear equations of motion (SUVAT) can be similarly modified.

David Lewis said:
In that thread you appear to be considering a machine that can function as a pump (power is absorbed) or a turbine (power is produced), correct?

Dear David
Yes, I am talking about a pump which can work as a turbine so. My exact question there is, when impeller rotates inversely, what happens? Direction of rotation affect on amount of flow? direction of flow? or both of them?
Please write your idea there.

When the direction of rotation of the impeller reverses then the flow is also reversed. That is, fluid enters the pump's discharge outlet and comes out through the suction inlet. In this situation, mechanical power is available at the impeller shaft.

The advantages of operating a pump as a turbine are convenience, simplicity and low cost. The disadvantages are low efficiency and lack of versatility.

1. What is the unit of inertia?

The unit of inertia is kg*m^2 (kilogram-meter squared).

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative as it is a measure of an object's resistance to change in rotational motion.

4. What is the difference between mass and moment of inertia?

Mass is a measure of an object's quantity of matter, while moment of inertia is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion.

5. How does the shape of an object affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of an object can greatly affect its moment of inertia, as it determines the distribution of mass and how far it is from the axis of rotation.