1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Units of polarizability

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Can someone explain how it is possible for polarizability to have units of volume?

uinduced = αEapplied

so when i divide u_induced by E_applied I get units of (C*m)/(V/m) = (C*m2)/(J/C) = (C2m2)/J

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2016 #2
    polarizability can not be visualized as a volume element .....in cgs system of units it may come out as cube of a length but in SI system it has physical more rational units as its a ratio of dipole moment induced by the external field ; one can represent it by the ratio as far as its units are concerned.
    one can use C m^2. V^-1 as SI units

4. Oct 3, 2016 #3
    can you explain how it is possible for the units to work out to cm^3 in CGS but not to m^3 in SI?

5. Oct 3, 2016 #4
    The dipole moment has the dimension of charge times distance, which in SI units is C m (coulomb . meter).

In Gaussian units dipole moment is (stat coulomb .centimeter).

An electric field has dimension voltage divided by distance,

so that in SI units E has dimension V/m and in Gaussian units stat V/cm. Hence the dimension of α is

In SI: C m^2 V−1

In Gaussian: statC cm^2 .statV−1 = cm^3,

where one can use that in Gaussian units the dimension of V is equal to stat C/cm (as per Coulomb's law).
    for discussion one can see
    http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Polarizability

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted