University Degree Choosing Help. (Engineering vs Theoretical)

In summary, the individual is struggling to choose a degree after leaving high school. They have mediocre grades overall, but excel in physics and math. They have trouble focusing, but are highly curious and have self-taught themselves calculus and other topics. They are interested in careers related to physics and math, and are considering degrees in power engineering, physics engineering, applied math, physics, and math. They are concerned about the "job-safety" of pure science degrees compared to engineering/applied science degrees. They are also considering minors and double degrees to continue learning and increase opportunities. Ultimately, the expert advises them to focus on their interests and motivation, as that is crucial for success. They also provide a summary of the differences between pure science
Swimmingly!
I'm leaving high school to choose a degree and I'm having a hard time choosing and I thought I wouldn't loose anything by asking here for opinions and maybe similar experiences.

I have mediocre grades overall, though I get very good physics and maths sometimes, others I get average (14/20, 15/20, Physics, Maths total). With subjects that don't interest me or require memorisation my grades are terrible (7/20Philos., 8/20 Literature)
I'm a pretty slow thinker (including tests), lack focus and have terrible memory. On the other hand if I'm given the time, not immense but some, I often solve problems I see no one else around me solve and ask questions and understand what most don't. Not saying I'm a genius, far from it.
I have a lot of trouble focusing but when I do (which is highly dependent on interest) I can be productive. I've learned Calculus at home and learned a decent amount about other topics about physics and maths.
I'm one of those who'd be fine with, for example, being in a desk all day trying to solve questions and learning things (eg.:Theor.Phys or Maths). I'm extremely curious but I've only started focusing on studying around 3 years ago, but I've gotten better and I hope to keep at it.

The most appropriate degree's I found were:
(PE)-Power Engineering (wiki translation)
(PhE)-Physics Engineering
(AM)-Applied maths
(P)-Physics
(M)-Maths

I'm afraid of non-"fundamental" courses (in which my grades tend to be bad), which show up often in degrees like (PE, PhE, AM) But these are the safest ones job-wise. (PE) is by far the safest (?) but the least interesting probably.
On the other hand when I looked at the (P) and (M) degrees I didn't see unwanted courses. I only wanted even more. But I fear I'm not good enough for them.

I think pure math (M) is better job-wise than pure Physics (P), the only problem is that I'd be driven physics starved.
Somewhere I'd really like to work at would be CERN.

So basically, is the difference in job-safety that big between the pure degrees (P,M) and the engineering/applied (PE, PhE, AM)? What can I expect from getting each degree?

PS:After finding out minors exist, if they're free for students doing them repeatedly sounds like a nice idea to keep learning and keep looking for other opportunities.

Physics news on Phys.org
Swimmingly! said:
I'm afraid of non-"fundamental" courses (in which my grades tend to be bad), which show up often in degrees like (PE, PhE, AM) But these are the safest ones job-wise. (PE) is by far the safest (?) but the least interesting probably.
On the other hand when I looked at the (P) and (M) degrees I didn't see unwanted courses. I only wanted even more. But I fear I'm not good enough for them.

You should focus on what interests you. Pick a curriculum that motivates you and that you want to study. That's what matters and usually being motivated is the only way to do your best and to also get somewhere.

Swimmingly! said:
I think pure math (M) is better job-wise than pure Physics (P), the only problem is that I'd be driven physics starved.
Somewhere I'd really like to work at would be CERN.

Pure sciences tend to be a bit dry job-wise, because pure sciences are research-oriented fields (usually in the subject itself at least in academia). I.e. you're likely mostly looking to work as a scientist, a teacher or in a specialized company that needs scientists, if you want to do pure science and not only apply it to somewhere. Although you can do both.

Swimmingly! said:
So basically, is the difference in job-safety that big between the pure degrees (P,M) and the engineering/applied (PE, PhE, AM)? What can I expect from getting each degree?

Don't use the word job-safety, because an education can not guarantee job-safety, although any STEM degree is a good pick, because they cover topics and develop skills that are of societal importance and used across different sciences and fields. Engineering degrees are often applicable straight out of the school though, because of their emphasis on applicable knowledge and skills, so that's a pretty good path, if you just want a job fast.

Pure science degrees are oriented to studying the subject(s) extensively and in general they aim to produce students with extended knowledge in the subject(s) and who may go on to do research and advance knowledge in the subject itself or to work in applications where advanced knowledge of the subject is needed. "Applied" science degrees can be closer to engineering or closer to pure science, but anyways they are often concerned with gaining knowledge in applying the science to practical applications vs gaining and advancing knowledge in the science itself. However, they can often be pretty interchangeable, because the theoretical base is the same. And actually some don't consider there being such thing as "applied sciences", but only pure sciences and their applications. As research disciplines applied and pure sciences are usually interested in different aspects though.

Check the curricula and options in minor subjects or even double degrees and major in what fits your interests and future plans best.

Last edited:

1. Should I choose Engineering or Theoretical for my university degree?

This is ultimately a personal decision and depends on your interests, strengths, and career goals. Engineering degrees tend to be more hands-on and practical, while theoretical degrees focus on research and academic study. It's important to research both options and consider which aligns with your career aspirations.

2. What are the differences between an Engineering and Theoretical degree?

An Engineering degree typically focuses on applying scientific and mathematical principles to design, develop, and maintain systems, structures, and processes. A Theoretical degree, on the other hand, focuses on the study and analysis of theories and concepts in a specific field, often leading to research and academic careers.

3. Which degree is more challenging?

This can vary depending on the individual and their strengths. Engineering degrees may require more technical and mathematical skills, while Theoretical degrees may require strong critical thinking and research abilities. It's important to choose a degree that you are passionate about and motivated to succeed in.

4. Can I switch between Engineering and Theoretical degrees during my studies?

It is possible to switch between degree programs, but it may depend on the specific university and program requirements. It's important to communicate with your academic advisor and research the process before making a decision.

5. How can I determine which degree is right for me?

There are a few steps you can take to help determine which degree aligns with your interests and goals. Consider taking courses or participating in internships or research opportunities in both fields to gain a better understanding of the subjects. You can also speak with professionals in both fields to learn more about their experiences and career paths.