Solving Unknown Error in C++ Code

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter SOHAWONG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Error
In summary, the conversation discusses a code that prompts the user to enter the degree of a polynomial and then displays a message asking for the coefficients of the polynomial. However, the code has errors and is missing important elements such as the closing brace for the main subroutine and an else clause. The code also does not include input statements or variables to hold the coefficients. After fixing the errors, the code is now functional.
SOHAWONG
after typing these following code
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{int deg;

cout << "Enter the degree of the polynomial:" << endl;
cin >> deg ;
cout << "For the polynomial f(x)=";
if (deg ==3)
{
cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x^3+C2*x^2+C3*x^1+C4, enter C1, C2, C3, C4 in order:";
}
else if(deg==2)
{
cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x^2+C2*x^1+C3, enter C1, C2, C3 in order:";
}
else if (deg==1)
{
cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x+C2, enter C1, C2 in order:";
}

return 0;

when running this code
error occurs,but the editor doesn't indicate me where's the problem

Physics news on Phys.org
One obvious error is that there is no } to finish the main() subroutine. There may be others...

Use [ code] and [ /code] (without the leading spaces) for your code.

Code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
   int deg;
   cout << "Enter the degree of the polynomial:" << endl;
   cin >> deg ;
   cout << "For the polynomial f(x)=";
   if (deg ==3)
   {
      cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x^3+C2*x^2+C3*x^1+C4, enter C1, C2, C3, C4 in order:";
   }
   else if(deg==2)
   {
      cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x^2+C2*x^1+C3, enter C1, C2, C3 in order:";
   }
   else if (deg==1)
   {
      cout<<"For the polynomial f(x)=C1*x+C2, enter C1, C2 in order:";
   }

return 0;

As phyzguy points out, you're missing the final brace at the end of main.

There is another error as well - you are missing an else clause at the end of your if ... else if clauses.

Also, you apparently want the program user to enter the coefficients of the various powers of x, but you don't have input statements to do this, and you don't have variables declared to hold c1, c2, etc.

thx a lot,problem fixed finally

As a scientist, my response to this issue would be to carefully review the code and try to identify any potential errors. I would also check for any missing or incorrect syntax, as well as any logical errors in the code. It may also be helpful to use debugging tools or to consult with other programmers for assistance in solving the unknown error. Additionally, I would make sure to thoroughly test the code with different inputs to see if the error occurs consistently or only under certain conditions. Ultimately, the key to solving this unknown error would be to carefully analyze and troubleshoot the code until the issue is resolved.

1. How do I solve an unknown error in my C++ code?

To solve an unknown error in your C++ code, the first step is to carefully analyze the error message or any other clues that may help identify the source of the error. Then, use debugging techniques such as printing out variable values or stepping through the code to find the exact line where the error occurs. It may also be helpful to consult online resources or seek assistance from other programmers.

2. Why am I getting an unknown error in my C++ code?

There are many possible reasons for getting an unknown error in your C++ code. Some common causes include syntax errors, logical errors, memory allocation issues, or compatibility issues with libraries or compilers. It is important to thoroughly examine your code and consider all possible factors when trying to determine the cause of the error.

3. How can I prevent unknown errors in my C++ code?

To prevent unknown errors in your C++ code, it is important to follow good coding practices such as using meaningful variable names, commenting your code, and testing your code frequently. It is also helpful to use debugging tools and to be familiar with common C++ errors and how to avoid them.

4. Can I use a debugger to solve unknown errors in my C++ code?

Yes, using a debugger is a common and effective way to solve unknown errors in C++ code. Debuggers allow you to step through your code and examine the values of variables at different points, making it easier to identify the source of the error. However, it is important to also understand the fundamentals of debugging and how to use the debugger effectively.

5. Are there any common strategies for solving unknown errors in C++ code?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful in solving unknown errors in C++ code. Some of these include carefully analyzing the error message, using debugging tools, breaking down the code into smaller sections to isolate the error, and seeking assistance from other programmers. It is also important to be patient and persistent when trying to solve unknown errors.