Unlocking the Mystery of Hyperdimensional Discus: Why a 4D Discus Won't Fly

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
In summary: To us it is a sphere, to them it is a disc. It is a flat object capable of pushing air downward, so it can fly.What if...
Hornbein
If you have four spatial dimensions then a discus won't fly very well. A 4D discus or Frisbee has three large horizontal dimensions and one smaller vertical one. Spinning such a disc stabilizes only two horizontal dimensions. The disc is unstable in the other two dimensions so there is a tilt that can't be controlled. The disc will roll over and lose lift.

Last edited:
Likes Lren Zvsm
Physics news on Phys.org
Hornbein said:
If you have four spatial dimensions then a discus won't fly very well. A 4D discus or Frisbee has three large horizontal dimensions and one smaller vertical one. Spinning such a disc stabilizes only two horizontal dimensions. The disc is unstable in the other two dimensions so there is a tilt that can't be controlled. The disc will roll over and lose lift.
I threw my Wham-O Pro Classic Frisbee with my granddaughter this morning trying to visualize the 4th spatial dimension stability problem without notable success. We did notice the 3D fractal dimensions of the disc design between the bulging rim and the horizontal flat central section.

The Pro Frisbee includes 16 annular rings/grooves mounting from the curved rim to a single wider shallow groove where the flat interior top begins. We suppose these grooves provide some aerodynamic stability during (vertical?) flight in addition to the gyroscopic (horizontal) stability of the rotating disc. Note that the flexible disc deforms when thrown then flattens in flight, adding to the fractal nature of the disc geometry.

20230326_133940.jpg

Klystron said:
I threw my Wham-O Pro Classic Frisbee with my granddaughter this morning trying to visualize the 4th spatial dimension stability problem without notable success. We did notice the 3D fractal dimensions of the disc design between the bulging rim and the horizontal flat central section.

The Pro Frisbee includes 16 annular rings/grooves mounting from the curved rim to a single wider shallow groove where the flat interior top begins. We suppose these grooves provide some aerodynamic stability during (vertical?) flight in addition to the gyroscopic (horizontal) stability of the rotating disc. Note that the flexible disc deforms when thrown then flattens in flight, adding to the fractal nature of the disc geometry.

View attachment 324094
My first disc was embossed with

Flat flip flies straight. Tilted flip curves. Experiment!

Likes Lren Zvsm
Hornbein said:
My first disc was embossed with

Flat flip flies straight. Tilted flip curves. Experiment!
Cool. I threw my first Wham-O Frisbee the Summer of 1958, made in California. The story goes that Southern Californians threw for distance, us Bay Area kids tried for maximum lift and hover time.

I have 'frisbeed' (verb) just about any object with a flat surface that I could throw and spin including aluminum pie plates, plastic dinner plates, playing cards, wooden boomerangs, knives and hatchets, even pieces of drywall. I store the disc in the above picture under the seat of my truck just in case.

When young and strong I would fling a disc at an angle from Santa Cruz beach out over the Pacific Ocean until it nearly disappeared then catch it when it boomeranged back to shore. Aerodynamic.

Klystron said:
Cool. I threw my first Wham-O Frisbee the Summer of 1958, made in California. The story goes that Southern Californians threw for distance, us Bay Area kids tried for maximum lift and hover time.

I have 'frisbeed' (verb) just about any object with a flat surface that I could throw and spin including aluminum pie plates, plastic dinner plates, playing cards, wooden boomerangs, knives and hatchets, even pieces of drywall. I store the disc in the above picture under the seat of my truck just in case.

When young and strong I would fling a disc at an angle from Santa Cruz beach out over the Pacific Ocean until it nearly disappeared then catch it when it boomeranged back to shore. Aerodynamic.
I invented the world's farthest flying disc. Take a 150gr golf disk and fill it with foam plastic. 20% more distance.

Hornbein said:
What you are describing is a sphere, with a small extrusion into the fourth dimension. That doesn't fly any better in three dimensions then four. What if it only had two large dimensions and two small ones.

Algr said:
What you are describing is a sphere, with a small extrusion into the fourth dimension. That doesn't fly any better in three dimensions then four.

To us it is a sphere, to them it is a disc. It is a flat object capable of pushing air downward, so it can fly.

Algr said:
What if it only had two large dimensions and two small ones.

Then it wouldn't have enough surface area to fly. In 4D, surfaces are 3D. An approximately 2D object doesn't have enough 3D surface area. And it would still flip over into the extra sideways dimension.

Taking things a step further, what to us is a hollow sphere is to them a ring. That would be the shape of their chain links.

As you can see, it takes a bit of getting used to. 3D intuition doesn't work in 4D. If it did then 4D would be a ho hum world.

Last edited:
Likes Lren Zvsm
Hornbein said:
To us it is a sphere, to them it is a disc. It is a flat object capable of pushing air downward, so it can fly.
I don't think that the names change in higher dimensions. A sphere is still a sphere, but they can see inside it. a 4d sphere is a hypersphere.

Hornbein said:
Then it wouldn't have enough surface area to fly. In 4D, surfaces are 3D. An approximately 2D object doesn't have enough 3D surface area. And it would still flip over into the extra sideways dimension.
Javelins are pseudo-one-dimensional, but they work in three dimensions. In order to tumble, you need to exchange one dimension with another. A spinning frisbee has three stabilized dimensions, so it is not clear to me that the fourth dimension would be able to exchange with one of the other three. Which one would it exchange with?

Hornbein said:
Taking things a step further, what to us is a hollow sphere is to them a ring. That would be the shape of their chain links.
Again the names don't change. Eight cubes make a tesseract. A tesseract has eight volumes, 48 sides, and one of something that needs a new name. (Hypervolume?). A hollow sphere might be LIKE a ring, in that they could put stuff inside it and move through it. But it would have a volume, whereas a ring only has an area.

Last edited:
Hornbein said:
I invented the world's farthest flying disc. Take a 150gr golf disk and fill it with foam plastic. 20% more distance.
Nope. This one is farther:

Algr said:
I don't think that the names change in higher dimensions. A sphere is still a sphere, but they can see inside it. a 4d sphere is a hypersphere.Javelins are pseudo-one-dimensional, but they work in three dimensions. In order to tumble, you need to exchange one dimension with another. A spinning frisbee has three stabilized dimensions, so it is not clear to me that the fourth dimension would be able to exchange with one of the other three. Which one would it exchange with?Again the names don't change. Eight cubes make a tesseract. A tesseract has eight volumes, 48 sides, and one of something that needs a new name. (Hypervolume?). A hollow sphere might be LIKE a ring, in that they could put stuff inside it and move through it. But it would have a volume, whereas a ring only has an area.
Volumes in 4D are 4D. Quartic centimeters of paint and so forth.

You are correct that rotations require exactly two dimensions. It is a little known fact (proved in 1890 or so by Clifford) that in 4D solid objects may have two perpendicular planes of rotation. Weird, eh?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Lren Zvsm

1. What is a hyperdimensional discus?

A hyperdimensional discus is a theoretical object that exists in four dimensions instead of the usual three dimensions that we are familiar with in our daily lives. It is often used as an example in discussions of higher dimensions and their properties.

2. Why won't a 4D discus fly in our 3D world?

A 4D discus won't fly in our 3D world because it exists in a dimension that we cannot perceive or interact with. In our 3D world, objects are bound by the laws of physics that govern three dimensions, but a 4D discus would not be subject to these laws. Therefore, it would not be able to fly in our 3D world.

3. Can a hyperdimensional discus exist in our universe?

It is currently unknown if a hyperdimensional discus can exist in our universe. The concept of higher dimensions is still a topic of debate and research in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that there may be more than three dimensions in our universe, but this has not been proven.

4. How do scientists study higher dimensions and objects like the hyperdimensional discus?

Scientists study higher dimensions and objects like the hyperdimensional discus through mathematical models and simulations. These models help us understand the properties and behaviors of objects in higher dimensions that we cannot directly observe.

5. What are the practical applications of studying higher dimensions and objects like the hyperdimensional discus?

Studying higher dimensions and objects like the hyperdimensional discus helps scientists gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its underlying principles. This knowledge can potentially lead to advancements in fields such as physics, mathematics, and engineering. It also allows us to expand our imagination and think beyond our three-dimensional world.