Unraveling the Mysteries of the Unit Circle

In summary, the unit circle can be used to find the trigonometric values of angles, including those in radians. Reference angles can help determine the values for angles in different quadrants. In quadrant 2, both x and y values are negative, while in quadrant 3 only y values are negative and in quadrant 4 only x values are negative. When using cosine, the x value will be negative in quadrant 2, resulting in a negative answer. It is important to correctly identify the angle being used in order to find the correct trigonometric value.
anon413
[SOLVED] Unit Circle

How can I use the unit circle to get the right answer. I understand the 30 60 90 and 45 45 90 triangles, but come to a problem when using this method with cosine. For example cosine(3pi/2) is -[2^(1/2)]/2. Using my method I get the positive. Please explain the methods of using the unit circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you learned about reference angles?

Let's use this Unit Circle as our guide: http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/pdf/Trig_Cheat_Sheet.pdf go to page 3.

Ok let's start in Quadrant 1. We know the Trigonometric values for 30-60-90 are for Cosine & Sine are ... refer to page 3.

Well if we look at Quadrant 2, and use our knowledge about reference angles, we can see that the trigonometric values for 30 & 150 are the same, except that cosine is negative.

Last edited:
Not sure what exactly are reference angles, but I do know how to convert from radians to degrees.

Yes they are the same, but negative why exactly?

anon413 said:
Yes they are the same, but negative why exactly?
Are you in the positive or negative x direction? If you go around the unit circle, in quadrant 2, only the x-values became negative.

In quadrant 3, both x and y are negative, but in quadrant 4, only the y-values are negative.

Quadrant 1: positive x and y
Quadrant 2: negative x and positive y

etc

30 degrees and 150 degrees are reference angles bc 180 - 150 = 30. Same goes for 135, 180 - 135 = 45.

If you start on the negative x-axis, and draw an angle towards the positive y-axis in a clock-wise direction, isn't that basically the same as drawing a 30 degree angle in the positive x-axis going in a counter-clockwise direction except in a different quadrant?

Both of these have hypotenuse 1, originating from the Origin. So now draw a 150 degree angle coming from the positive x-axis, you're triangle isn't going to have a 150 degree angle, that's not how we draw it. It's actually the remaining 30 degrees left that will form the angle for your triangle.

Last edited:
Okay so if I was to use cosine which is X/R. I would receive a negative answer because of the negative x. Tell me if I'm wrong.

anon413 said:
Okay so if I was to use cosine which is X/R. I would receive a negative answer because of the negative x. Tell me if I'm wrong.
It depends what quadrant your in.

Sorry a Quadrant 2.

Thx for the help rocomath I think I can handle it myself from here.

I notice this has been marked "solved" but no one has pointed out to anon413 that " For example cosine(3pi/2) is -[2^(1/2)]/2" is wrong.

Draw a unit circle on an xy- coordinate system. Angle "0" starts on the right, on the x-axis, at the point (1, 0). A circle of radius one has circumference 2pi, so going around the circle (counter-clockwise) a distance of pi/2 (one right angle) takes you 1/4 of the way around the circle or to the y- axis, (0, 1). Another pi/2 takes you to the negative x-axis, (-1, 0). The third right angle, to 3pi/2, takes you to the negative y-axis, (0, -1). Since "cosine" can be defined as the x-coordinate of such points, cos(3pi/2)= 0, not -sqrt(2)/2. (And sin(3pi/2)= -1.)

Perhaps you mean cos(3pi/4). pi/4 is half of a right angle (and 1/8 of the entire circle) so pi/4 takes you to the point on the circle halfway between (1, 0) and (0, 1): where the line y= x intersects the circle. 2pi/4 is exactly a right angle and so takes you to (1, 0) as before. 3pi/4 takes you halfway between (1, 0) and (-1, 0), where the line y= -x crosses the circle, in the second quadrant. That point satisfies both x2+ y2= 1 and y= -x: setting y= -x in the quadratic, x2+ (-x)2= 2x2= 1 so x= +/- sqrt(1/2)= +/- sqrt(2)/2. Since we are in the second quadrant, x< 0 so x= -sqrt(2)/2: that is, cos(3pi/4)= -sqrt(2)/2. (And since y= -x, sin(3pi/4)= sqrt(2)/2.)

Related to Unraveling the Mysteries of the Unit Circle

1. What is a unit circle?

A unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on a coordinate plane. It is used in mathematics to understand and solve problems related to trigonometry.

2. Why is the unit circle important?

The unit circle is important because it provides a visual representation of the relationships between the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. It also serves as a reference point for understanding angles and their corresponding values on the coordinate plane.

3. How do you use the unit circle to solve trigonometric problems?

To solve trigonometric problems using the unit circle, you can use the values of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions at different angles on the circle. These values can be found by measuring the coordinates of the point where the angle intersects the circle.

4. What are the key properties of the unit circle?

The key properties of the unit circle include its radius of 1 unit, its center at the origin, and the fact that it contains all the special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) within it. It also has a circumference of 2π units and an area of π square units.

5. How can the unit circle be used to solve real-world problems?

The unit circle can be used to solve real-world problems that involve angles and trigonometric functions, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to make calculations and predictions.